Baby Hermit Crabs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Over the past week or two my hermit crabs have been busy, at least I hope. They've been moving the extra shells that I have laying in the san to different corners of the tank. Occasionally they'll come out and seach the sand for food, but then get right back to their corner. When I came home today there were two half buried in the sand, not sure what they were doing but they've moved around since then. Is it possible that I could have some baby's comming soon? Is there anything special that I nedd to do if this is going to happen?

Thanks

Actually their behavior sounds more like they have recently molted. Crustaceans in general will be quite lethargic and secretive after a molt until the new exoskeleton has hardend.

Eggs are carried much the same as most crabs/shrimp, under the abdomen. With hermits it can be quite difficult to see until just nearing the time of release. It will usually happen just before dawn, the female will extend from the shell a bit and shake the eggs off her body. Looks alot like convulsing. The newly hatched crabs will be small larvae and look similar to brine shrimp except a bit larger.

The babies will swim upwards towards the light, they kinda bob up and down as they swim. Not much you can do for them, they'll pretty much end up as critter food. Some might survive a short time although I doubt it. You'd need a special reering tank and proper live foods for them to have even a remote chance. Personally I don't think the effort, cost and time will be worth the result.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom