Back glass ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pritchard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what your preference is to cleaning the back glass ??? I've got a 55g with a 30g sump mixed reef system and for 3 years I've kept the back spotless (I like the bright marine blue look) I haven't lost a single fish or coral in 3 years all I've lost is 1 cleaner shrimp !!! All parameters are spot on and everything is going well zoas pallys mushrooms Xenia torch etc all showing great growth rates but recently I'm growing to the idea of just letting the back go !!! What do you lot think ? I'll post picks of my system once I work this [moderator edit] iPhone out lol ! I'm new to here so a quick intro !!!! I'm Paul 35 from Wolverhampton !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
pritchard said:
Just wondering what your preference is to cleaning the back glass ??? I've got a 55g with a 30g sump mixed reef system and for 3 years I've kept the back spotless (I like the bright marine blue look) I haven't lost a single fish or coral in 3 years all I've lost is 1 cleaner shrimp !!! All parameters are spot on and everything is going well zoas pallys mushrooms Xenia torch etc all showing great growth rates but recently I'm growing to the idea of just letting the back go !!! What do you lot think ? I'll post picks of my system once I work this **** iPhone out lol ! I'm new to here so a quick intro !!!! I'm Paul 35 from Wolverhampton !!!

Welcome abroad Paul !!  . You will love this site . I have a Kent scrapper I use with a cloth pad attachment as well .

Cheers buddy !!! I just keep clean with a razor blade/credit card and a scouring pad ! I was just wondering what benefits if any you lot have experienced from just letting the back grow naturally besides the obvious coraline colours and healthier copepod population ( although my mandarin seems fine with the copepods available ) I'm inclined to just leave it be ! Just looking for advice from people who's back glass is covered in " natural krust " for a more 3d kind of look

I wouldn't say there's a benefit. You might get better light reflection back into the tank with clean glass, but how much? I don't know. On that note though, any cover (acrylic, paint etc) on glass will reduce the light reflection back into the tank so I doubt it's a realistic concern.

Aesthetics is likely the biggest concern.

Thanks matey ! Like I say my system has run perfectly for 3 years with the back glass clean so I guess it's down to personal preference ! I agree the light reflection is way better when the glass is clean ! Oh decisions decisions lol !

I never clean the back glass, sometimes it gets a little algae on it but it goes away. It's kind of an indicator of water quality, if there's algae growth then I know I'm feeding too much or not doing enough water changes, but if your water is pristine you shouldn't have much growth on the back glass.

pritchard said:
Just wondering what your preference is to cleaning the back glass ??? I've got a 55g with a 30g sump mixed reef system and for 3 years I've kept the back spotless (I like the bright marine blue look) I haven't lost a single fish or coral in 3 years all I've lost is 1 cleaner shrimp !!! All parameters are spot on and everything is going well zoas pallys mushrooms Xenia torch etc all showing great growth rates but recently I'm growing to the idea of just letting the back go !!! What do you lot think ? I'll post picks of my system once I work this [moderator edit] iPhone out lol ! I'm new to here so a quick intro !!!! I'm Paul 35 from Wolverhampton !!!

I've never cleaned mine. Just sides and front. My back is covered in pink and purple coraline algae. I like the look shows the maturity of the tank. I have a buddy who's had his tank for well over 7 years and I always ask him if he just set it up since he too cleans his. I don't think there's a difference if you do or don't.. I did read years ago though I don't know if its true that to clean of a tank will hinder growth of copods and the like.

jsmith said:
I've never cleaned mine. Just sides and front. My back is covered in pink and purple coraline algae. I like the look shows the maturity of the tank. I have a buddy who's had his tank for well over 7 years and I always ask him if he just set it up since he too cleans his. I don't think there's a difference if you do or don't.. I did read years ago though I don't know if its true that to clean of a tank will hinder growth of copods and the like.

About the pods, I believe it because I notice when I get a little green hair algae on my back glass there are a ton of pods scurrying around in it.

Thanks for your replies I think I'm gonna just leave it to grow !

Back
Top Bottom