Background color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of completing the stand for my new tank. Soon I will paint the back of the tank and am wondering if anyone can show me some pics of their favorite color choice. I have blue on my current tank and like it but am reading about black a lot and can't find much for pictures to compare the two. Thanks to everyone that replies.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My suggestion is, if your tank is emulating a deep sea habitat use black as background. If it is a shallow reef then use blue. The lighter the color the brighter your tank is. That is if you will be keeping it free from annoying algae.

Black... IMO blue is too much work, with black you don't have to see all the algae?

-Tropical water diver? and marine lover.?????

Black... IMO blue is too much work, with black you don't have to see all the algae��

-Tropical water diver�� and marine lover.����������

This is very true. I have a solid black background for my 55G Cichlid tank and it's very tough to spot any algae, only con I can think about is that you may need to "find" the algae, then clean it. I have a solid blue on my 55G Salt. you just need to wipe the back every other week or so to get rid of the algae in the back, other than that, fish look very nice with a blue background.

It is true that when your background is black the dark colored algae will be camouflage but what about other algae with other colors? There are purple, red, orange and etc. The blue is the natural color of a reef. Regular maintenance is part of the hobby.

I like mine black, I feel like it makes the fish, corals and rock stand out better than it does against a blue background. Also, the only time I cleaned my back glass was when I would get the little vermetid snails taking over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cam anyone post pics of the tanks? The blue vs black seems to be a total personal preference type of battle to me and I would like to see some examples. Thanks all.

I guess you could always google search 'reef aquariums with black backgrounds'....

I did Google it. Trouble is it is hard to trust what yiu see. Is it natural or photoshopped to highlight colors etc.

Its all a matter of personal preference i guess, ive had black and blue, i like blue better, but you do see algae more with blue backgrounds

I prefer black. My plants weren't in the best shape when I snapped this pic, but you get the idea. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405953334.981434.jpg

Anyone running a reef with no background ?

That's what I was thinking plus the wall behind the tank is a nice deep blue any way

Here's my 20 gallon tank when I first set it up 8 months ago. Looks much better now with fish,coral, and inverts in it...I like the black background..

Attachments

• tank 007.jpg
    tank 007.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 91
No background here either. My tanks background is coralline lol

I've done black on my freshwater mainly to hide the wires but with the 210 salt I'm going I hang the canopy and install a outlet above to conceal the lights wiring. Now for my power heads and heaters I'm going to run them along the frame of the tank and down behind the overflows I like the dark blue of the walls plus I'll have coralline algae build up I just don't want to have to move the tank again lol things heavy

Back
Top Bottom