Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Background Question

I have two clownfish who hang out on one side of my tank. They spend 99% of the time swimming up and down the side facing their reflections.

Would it be a good idea to place a blue or black background on the sides so they cannot see their reflections.....hopefully causing them to swim in other areas of my tank?

Sir Ottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Clownfish tend to be territorial. They will pick a corner, usually next to an object like a filter siphon or decoration, and stay there most of the time. Backgrounds can look nice and help you with photography, but the clownfish will not likely change much in behavior.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know how it will effect your clown fish but I painted the back of my tank before I set it up and I am glad I did. I never have to worry about a poster falling off the back. It always looks nice. I don't know if it is too late for you though since it is already up and running.
72 gallon bow front, koralia 1 powerhead, approx 30 gallon sump and separate 20 gallon display refugium, Aqua C protein skimmer, Live rubble filteration, 80 # of LR, and a 4 inch sand bed.
land locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How are they chasing reflections? If they are inside the tank, there is no reflection for them to see (at least not any more than you see of yourself when looking into the front of the tank). Do you have a mirror on the tank? The reflection you are likely seeing is the result of light bending as you are looking through the front glass, and the water. The end of the tank is probably just as clear as the front, thus resulting in no reflection from the inside.
Remember - in Aquaria, nothing good happens fast.
Starting a new tank? Click here for instructions.
47g tall FW, 10g planted, 2.5g planted office tank
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com