Background Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Ottis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two clownfish who hang out on one side of my tank. They spend 99% of the time swimming up and down the side facing their reflections.

Would it be a good idea to place a blue or black background on the sides so they cannot see their reflections.....hopefully causing them to swim in other areas of my tank?

Clownfish tend to be territorial. They will pick a corner, usually next to an object like a filter siphon or decoration, and stay there most of the time. Backgrounds can look nice and help you with photography, but the clownfish will not likely change much in behavior.

I don't know how it will effect your clown fish but I painted the back of my tank before I set it up and I am glad I did. I never have to worry about a poster falling off the back. It always looks nice. I don't know if it is too late for you though since it is already up and running.:confused:

How are they chasing reflections? If they are inside the tank, there is no reflection for them to see (at least not any more than you see of yourself when looking into the front of the tank). Do you have a mirror on the tank? The reflection you are likely seeing is the result of light bending as you are looking through the front glass, and the water. The end of the tank is probably just as clear as the front, thus resulting in no reflection from the inside.

Back
Top Bottom