Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mirrors are not good with fish. Scrap that idea.
How so?
For interests sake, thats all

Dimidiochromis compressiceps,
Astatotilapia latifasciata
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm one who has one of those tacky (and I agree!) backgrounds of printed corals. I covered half the back of the tank in plain black, then plain blue, while the other half had the coral photo. All family members (husband, teen son and daughter, and visiting adult daughter) all picked the coral print!

One more point: I don't mind the coral photo background, and as I add more rock the photo seems to look more and more just like faraway natural background.

Am I making sense?

dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check out my gallery...Krylon spraypaint! I think it looks pretty good...
- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by DeFeKt

Mirrors are not good with fish. Scrap that idea.
How so?
For interests sake, thats all
Many fish do not peacfully survive in captivity with like species and the mirrors can confuse this defense reaction to similar species when seeing their own reflection and cause them injury when they "attack" the mirror image.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I didnt put a background on now it looks silly seeing the fuge/protien skimmer in back. I would suggest a black one it enhances the colors.
SeriousDude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
SeriousDude, I had a similar issue and I just cut a black plastic trash bag, slid it under the hardware on the back of the tank, and fastened in place. Of course, whether it works will depend on your partical setup.
Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. -Pericles

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
Those tape on backgrounds look cheesy IMO.
Painted black background for me. Makes corals and fish stand out too!
Don't even bring up the mirror question. That is forbidden.

Once you go black, you never go back.
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have black on mine right now, my husband loves it, but I think it is too dark...since a recent trip to the bahamas, I have decided to paint some plexiglass that exact color of the water and it would of course be cut to fit the back of my tank...and secure it with velcro on top and bottom. This way it will be removable. My friend did this with hers and paited it with different types of dark blue. It kind of looked at the bottom that you were going into deeper waters. Any time you get tired of the color you can just paint over it and reattach it. I am changing the senery with the hopes of getting that corraline off the back....we'll see how that goes...

Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com