Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Does anyone here have pics of differant backgrounds for their aquariums?

I dont know if I should get one or not, I was hoping to see the differant looks.

To add to this, my tang goes nuts when he sees his reflection in the glossy background that I have. Any recommendations on what I can use as a backing to stop this. I used to paint my tanks but did not have the foresight to do that when I set up the current one.

People have painted the back of their tanks. I am not a fan of those "under water scene" backgrounds. I think they look cheesey. I went wtih plain blue. Over time your tank's back wall will become encrusted with coraline algea snd you will not be able to see it anyways. Pic of my background in my gallery.

tinted rear panel here. cream wall behind.
I also think the backgrounds look cheesy
although those 3D ones in peoples galleries are looking good
very tempting to try.

All five of my tanks have a black background. I am, however, designing a 3-D background for my empty 75 gal to recreate a riverbank scene. As RLG2182 says, the black contrasts very well with plant and fish colors.

I'm thinking of going with black as well. I have black on my back glass right now. I don't think you can see the algae as much with black. I'm thinking of doing black on all three sides and leaving the front open on my new tank. This way you can't see in the room that I'm building this aquarium in.

Has anyone ever used a mirror?? I was thinking about this today. A mirror would allow you to see behind the rocks and would give you a feeling of depth (and what you look like underwater :D )

Mirrors are not good with fish. Scrap that idea.

I also use black on my FW and SW tanks, but I have a tree root background that nicely fits my paludarium.

I'm one who has one of those tacky (and I agree!) backgrounds of printed corals. I covered half the back of the tank in plain black, then plain blue, while the other half had the coral photo. All family members (husband, teen son and daughter, and visiting adult daughter) all picked the coral print!

One more point: I don't mind the coral photo background, and as I add more rock the photo seems to look more and more just like faraway natural background.

Am I making sense?

DeFeKt said:
Mirrors are not good with fish. Scrap that idea.
How so?
For interests sake, thats all

Many fish do not peacfully survive in captivity with like species and the mirrors can confuse this defense reaction to similar species when seeing their own reflection and cause them injury when they "attack" the mirror image.

I didnt put a background on now it looks silly seeing the fuge/protien skimmer in back. I would suggest a black one it enhances the colors.

SeriousDude, I had a similar issue and I just cut a black plastic trash bag, slid it under the hardware on the back of the tank, and fastened in place. Of course, whether it works will depend on your partical setup.

Those tape on backgrounds look cheesy IMO.
Painted black background for me. Makes corals and fish stand out too!
Don't even bring up the mirror question. That is forbidden.

Once you go black, you never go back.

I have black on mine right now, my husband loves it, but I think it is too dark...since a recent trip to the bahamas, I have decided to paint some plexiglass that exact color of the water and it would of course be cut to fit the back of my tank...and secure it with velcro on top and bottom. This way it will be removable. My friend did this with hers and paited it with different types of dark blue. It kind of looked at the bottom that you were going into deeper waters. Any time you get tired of the color you can just paint over it and reattach it. I am changing the senery with the hopes of getting that corraline off the back....we'll see how that goes... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom