Backup plans for power failure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night at 7PM I lost power at my house. Outside temp was about 20F, winds gusting the 40mph and snow was coming down very rapidly which is bad news for getting the power reconnected in a hurry :( This did not phase me a bit, since I had a rackmount 1400VA APC UPS unit ready and waiting. So, I hook up my protein skimmer and heater to the UPS, should be good for about 5 to 8 hours depending on the heater usage. I wrap the tank in two blankets to help out the heater. 45 minutes later, the UPS dies! Must be a bad battery problem in the UPS since there is no way it should have died in 45 minutes with less than 75 watts of current draw. I go digging through my basement and find a 350VA UPS, I hook this up but I did not expect it to last long, so I am running just a powerhead off it to keep the water moving. 4 hours later, that UPS runs out of power, the power is still out in my house.

This is when I really started to worry, since my house temp was down to about 58F and it was 2AM. A while ago I bought one of these, then proceeded to lose it when I move into my new house:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3692&N=2004+113402

I found it in my basement after some frantic searching, stuck new batteries in it, then swapped it between my freshwater and my saltwater tank through the night to make sure each ware aerated. This morning, my salt tank was down to low 60s F but everything appeared to still be moving (very slowly), the freshwater tank was possibly slightly colder, but the thermometer does not read that low. And it was 50 in my house! I had to go to work so I stuck and extra blanket over each tank and crossed my fingers.

Around 10AM today, the power finally turned back on, my wife was home and made sure everything was swimming. I am leaving both tanks in the dark for the whole day in the temperature changes likely stessed the livestock quite a bit.

At this point, I am going to purchase a generator or at the very least, stick a woodstove in my house to keep it warm. Also I am going to buy a box of heat packs that I can tape to the outside of the tank if this happens again. Had I lost the saltwater tank, I would have lost more than the cost of buying a generator...

I bought a couple of those little battery-powered air pumps. Great insurance for just a few dollars.

I have a generator outside too (not specifically for the tank), just in case.

We haven't lost power in about 8 months here, which is strange. We probably have the worst electric company in the nation.

It'll be a cool spring day, 65 degrees, no wind, not a cloud in the sky - suddenly the power goes out for 2 hours. Not good when you have an expensive aquarium.

wow!

hope everything is fine.

I think the ups hooked up to the heater and a verry small powerhead should do for a day or so. there is no need to run the skimmer.

I bought a 5000 watt Honda power plant just in case, You never know and it could save a lot of money if the need ever came about.

Not a bad thing, for sure. You could call some electricians and see about getting the generator back-fed into your breaker panel so you can use the same outlets in the house.

I am getting a generator in the future, but for now I have one of those car convertors for dvd players. I turn my car on and run a drop cord out to the convertor. It gives me enough for a heater and an airstone. :wink:

A generator is on my list, too. I can use it to fire my furnace and circulation so I'll still have heat in the house, and it should be enough to power the pumps, etc. on my tanks.

I just have to make it until spring, because I've slowly going broke setting up my new system, and it's only 30 gallons!!

If you run a generator to feed into your existing breaker, just make sure that you have a device wich can make sure the sinus waves (generator and Power company power) are insinc otherwise you'll be having a big bang when the power goes back on.
It would be better to have a seperate breaker feeding your existing outlets, just make sure that only one is on at the time. You don't want to backfeed non synchronized electricity anywhere.

No bangs...Always seperate the mains from the generator output. Household current and generator output should never co-exist on the same line. This is why I suggested having an electrician back feed it properly.

Back
Top Bottom