Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Bacteria bloom - npx bioplastics questions

I just started a new reef tank four weeks ago. Had high nitrates a couple weeks into so I started a Phosban reactor with NPX bioplastics on the advice of my LFS. A few days later I couldn't figure out why my tank just kept getting gradually more and more cloudy, but I think I've finally figured it out ( I hope). The bioplastic pellets are creating a bacteria bloom. The bloom is very white in color. The questions I have are

1. Anyone use NPX bioplastics or similar in a tank only a few weeks old (like me), and did anyone experience similar issues?

2. I temporaly turned off the reator, but how long can a mild bacteria bloom take to clear. I do have a skimmer running?

3. Should I wait a few more months before attempting bioplastics again so the tank will more inhabitants and be more established?

4. From other with personal experience, should I abandon the use of them?

5. Would the use of a UV sterilizer help elimanate the bacteria blooms and could I still use the NPX bioplastics with no problems?

deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wouldn't use any on such a new tank,why is trates high on a new tank anyway?Thats what I would look at first.What have you in their?
what water for top off
how long did you cycle,did you cycle?
put up your parameters

Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Had a similar problem recently. For me, it was a trash can that I bought from Wally World to hold mix water in that caused the problem. The trash can stunk (literally) and I bought it because it was sooo much cheaper than Rubbermaid. I did a 30 gallon mix of saltwater, aerated/heated it for 2 days and went ahead and used the water. Cloudy City for a day. Did some fresh mix and used right away. Cleared it right out. But we are talking on a 30 gallon reef. A large tank would have probably sucked a lot more.

All in all, it took 50% water changes for about a week to get a newer tank back to crystal clear. Just a hunch, but if you step up the WC's, I think you will see it clear. I would stop using what you think possibly caused it.
where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

bacteria, bacteria bloom, bio, bloom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com