Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bad Economy

Hi guys I haven't posted for a while. How is the economy affecting your hobby?
I know I stripped my tank until it gets better.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, about 5 months ago we got a 180G setup. We went on vacation to new jersey for a week, and picked up Base rock on the way home. A few months ago we got $400 in coral. And now were just buying food since fish and corals are stable.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Be2lose
Lost my job six weeks ago(and as of today still no unempoyment check). Nothing new will be added I'll just keep up on the maint.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

it hasnt really affected me, as i really just got in to aquariums back in july and the economy has sucked since before then... basically now all i really need is food and prime, and both of those last a pretty long time. I still occasionally get a few things here and there, but until things get back to normal, no more tanks, and no sw setup for now

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

MFD try ablackhorse.com they got their stuff CHEAP. prime ect.

kens has great food deals. 30 bucks and I got enough food for 6 months.

I dont have SW but I have actually expanded then tore down operations for a bit, sold my 10'gs got a 15g and a 40gTall, I deflect a portion of my check to a savings account for a cushion but I live like I did as a land surveyor during the boom a few years back, spend it all. Ive done more trading and selling of livestock in the past year and more collecting of natural decor (breeding my own food supply as well) and shopping less.

I am more price and shipping aware now and will shop for days to get the best deal.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
MFD try ablackhorse.com they got their stuff CHEAP. prime ect.

kens has great food deals. 30 bucks and I got enough food for 6 months.
im actually good on that stuff for id say a year now... i got three 500ml bottles of prime on friday for $9 each... it was $20 a bottle... i also got 4 things of new life spectrum african cichlid food, that should last me well over a year... i couldnt believe how cheap they had their stuff... if only it were that way everywhere, nobody would be taking down their tanks right now

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

best part about this is most stores will match prices, if they dont they are making money.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com