Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bad LFS advice abounds...

D'ja ever feel like you really needed to save another customer at a LFS? Ugh! I was in my LFS last night and there was this guy & his teen in there. They'd obviously bought a tank at this store and spent a sizeable amount of money on fish that are all dying/dead. The guy they were talking to had never heard of Aptasia (well he hadn't when I first asked him about them in November). I hovered a couple of times hoping to get a chance to yell "get ye to the internet" but any time I hovered I got a goofy look from the sales person (who never seems to know what he's talking about i.e. "Chromis are really agressive fish. I'd never put one of those in a tank; here, this yellow tang makes a good starter fish").

They were looking at new fish and some of the fish they were looking at were Anthias. Speaking of which, they had a tank full of lyretails. There were 2 males and 2 females. The third female had jumped out of that tank into the neighboring tank. The females were documented on the tank as "Anthias:Orange-Male"?! The males were documented as "Anthias:Lyretail-Male".

I felt really bad for those people. I just know that they left there with more bad advice. I would have looked like a stalker to wait in the parking lot for them, lol!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

My local guy is not that bad, he will tell people what to get and what not to get most of the time and definitly if you ask, but most people dont seem to care Ive seen people with a brand new tank they had set up for a week or two buy all kinds of fish and coral, and dont seem to care (you can usually tell because they buy things that are incompatable). Sometimes I feel like telling them to get a PET ROCK

Old 04-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
I refuse to sell people stuff all the time. But what sucks is they wind up going to Petco, the nasty pet store a few miles away and buy what I refused to sell them. I always hear about it sooner or later.. They come in cussing up a storm trying to figure out why what they bought died.

I give the best advice I can, and If I am unsure, I go to the books on our shelf to get an answer.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
The first time I go to a fish shop, the first thing I ask is can I put a tang in my 10g nano....If he shoots me a WTF look then I'm in a good place, but you'd be surprised at how many will show you the tangs with a big smile on thier face.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kinda like muffler bearings I use it some times to see if someone really knows anything about cars
Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskeepswiming
Kinda like muffler bearings I use it some times to see if someone really knows anything about cars
Man muffler bearings are expensive. I took my car in for an oil change and the guy replaced mine for 50 bucks....Great deal...

LMAO....joking
Old 04-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whats the big joke about Muffler Bearings? My mechanic said mine are going out and should be replaed. Should I get them replaced or not?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hang on let me ask the magic eightball......Umm it says....ask agian later...lol
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are they easy to replace? I can't find them on Autozone's web page.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know, I bet they are hard to find. Hell I'm still waiting for home depot to call me when my lumber stretcher comes in...I can't finish my stand until I can stretch the last leg.....

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com