Bad luck with Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My reef tank has been up and running for six months. All of my equiptment was purchased new in-the-box.

I had an AC PH (i think 301) which was rated for about 200gph, shooting across the back glass. It is behind the rock and difficult to get to. A few weeks ago I moved a few rocks so that I could check the amount of flow coming from the PH. Guess what - the flow was zero. I took it apart, cleaned it out and put it back in the tank. It ran for another week and crapped out.

I have a large AC PH (maybe a 302?) which is rated for about 300gph. This PH is the main one in my tank and has an adaptor on the outflow nozzle that dispenses the flow in a rotating 360 deg direction. Tonight I noticed that the adaptor was barely rotating. I stuck my hand in front of the discharge and noticed that the flow was waaaay down. This PH had been cleaned only a few weeks ago. :x

I am really disappointed in both of these AC PH's and intend to replace them soon even though I still have plenty of fow from my wet/dry and HOB.

Can you guys recommend a PH that has given good service and long life? I'd rather spend a little more and get reliable equiptment.

Thanks - Charlie

Maxi Jets are good and cheap in my experience. A lot of people use the mjmods.com to put on them for larger tanks but for smaller tanks MJ900's and 1200's are great!

none are going to perform well without REGULAR maintenance. A monthly cleaning at the bare minimum should be done to keep them free of debris etc. If you have prefilters that will help, but even those will clog. My prefilter sponges get cleaned weekly.

No prefilters on either of them, just a course strainer to keep critters out. Didn't realize that they needed regular cleaning. Heck - can this hobby be any more labor intensive?

I didnt realise they needed the maintenance either! Has anyone got a link or guide to doing it? Im not to electric savvy so dont like the idea of just dismantling stuff!

Snotman said:
I didnt realise they needed the maintenance either! Has anyone got a link or guide to doing it? Im not to electric savvy so dont like the idea of just dismantling stuff!
They are pretty easy to take apart and clean. I even use a Q-Tip to clean out the impeller housing and a new toothbrush for the rest. I clean mine at least once a month.

As well as the cleaning with assorted tools we come up with, it is a general overall good idea to sit the powerhead in a small bucket of white vinegar and water (mostly vinegar) and let it run for an hour or two. There is alot of gunk and gummy stuff that can build up and this will remove most of it.

Back
Top Bottom