Bad shape clam whats happened!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 5" corcea clam is not very happy when i came home from class today and i dont know whats going on and looking for some help.

Heres Pictures of it happy and of it right now.

Happy as a clam: (pic taken 2 days ago)
img_2104420_0_7f379591cd580cfa53a9caedddf35937.jpg

Sad clam...
img_2104420_1_f8403c6b8d85933b876a63c3c0109c52.jpg

Its foot seems to have let go of the rock a bit but not 100%, when i got home there was a bunch of nasty slime comming off of his shell much like what happens when my starfish eats a shrimp and is decomposing it. what has likly happened and what should I do?

Tests:
Ammonia-0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - <5
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 79
Phosphates 0

the clam is SLIGHTLY responsive but doesnt have much control over the shell but does the "lips", they seem to be damaged as well a little bit

my cleaner shrimp is whats messing with his mantel so I put the clam in a Guppy breeder box so that its protected till it heals up hopefully

CleverBs said:
my cleaner shrimp is whats messing with his mantel so I put the clam in a Guppy breeder box so that its protected till it heals up hopefully

Any ph or alk swings?

That slime may be a bad sign, I had one let out some slime and it died shortly thereafter. Sorry I hope this isn't the case. Although mine was a maxima wich are known to croak for no apparent reason, maybe this will not be the case for your crocea.

I am afraid my bet is not good. When he goes, get him out of there as he will pollute the water pretty quickly. They can be a challenge to keep and look good until they die suddenly in my experience. Some can keep them for many years. Some can't. Depends on your setup. Most of them need a lot of light, even more than most SPS corals.

Keithhjs said:
If your shrimp is messing with it most likely it's about to be scavenged.

I believe dogwhelk snails eat clams do you have a whelk in there? And what type of lighting?

Back
Top Bottom