Bak Pak skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twkenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About time for a PS. I know it's been asked a million times.... what's the best for a 55 gallon HOB? I'm leaning toward the Bak Pak. Any input would be appreciated!

I have the Bak-Pak 2R, I'm happy with it. But I have not heard great things about its Rio powerhead though. When the Rio gives out I'll replace it with a Maxi-Jet. The only other model I considered at the time was the Aqua C Remora, but that was a little out of my price range.

They both work very nice. The remora is a little easier to clean but otherwise one does not relly beat the other in terms of efficeancy. For the price difference there really is not that big a difference.

I lucked out and found a JEBO 150. It is a hang-on venturi that does a dynamite job on my 55g reef. I only paid about 60.00 brand new on Ebay, and it came with the pump.

Howard

I agree with leafyseadragon about the bakpak. I have two of them on my tanks and I took out the bio bale and replaced them with reef rubble (small pieces of LR). This is much better than the bio bale, which you have to clean out once in a while, then shove down into the bakpak.

Or you can buy the Bak pak 2R that is designed to run without the bio bale.

I would go with the Remora with a MJ1200 pump and a surface skimmer. JMHO. It is my opinion that the Remora will do a better job than the Bak Pak.

I have the Bak Pak 2R and it's working great. No complaints so far.

Just my 2 cents, I'm a newby.

IMO, bakpak would be ideal on a 29 gal. It would do the job on up to a 40 gal tank but for your 55 gal, I'd go with one of these: Remora, Presicion Marine HOT-1, or Excalibur HOB. These are simply the best HOBs on the market. Check the auctions on eBay for some good deal on these.

Back
Top Bottom