Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Baking Soda to boost ALK?

I went to my LFS a couple months back and was talking with a guy about BRS 2-part dosing system. He said this would help my tank flourish since my ALK has been down a bit, and I shouldn't just raise 1 (ALK/Cal/Mag) without having the other supplements.

So I've been testing with Salifert kits frequently (past several weeks), before a PWC, 48hrs after PWC to see the fluctuation in parameters. Here's the average test results:

Phos: 0
Cal: 420ppm
Mag: 1310-1320
Alk: 4.9 - 5.1 dKH

Since it's only Alk that's significantly lower, could I just dose baking soda to raise it? Or will adding baking soda throw off another parameter... making the 2-part doser the most effective option.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can use baking soda for the alkalinity part of a two part solution. It is advised you bake the baking soda at 350F for an hour to drive out C02. I mix 500 grams of baking soda in a gallon of RO/DI water. Your calcium is high enough. I would just slowly dose the alk solution until you got KH where you wanted it. It really doesn't affect PH that much, it just buffers the water like a shock absorber to reduce PH swings.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

By alk solution do you mean the baking soda? I don't have the 2-part solution. I was just going to use Arm & Hammer baking soda.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, the alk solution I was referring to was using baking soda. Anything that has pure baking soda for human consumption is fine. BRS sells it real cheap in large containers. I have been using this as part of my home made two part solution for over 10 years now. Don't just throw raw baking soda in the tank, make up a solution and slowly trickle it in in small quantities while you monitor with your test kit. Move really slowly with this, do it over a couple of weeks.

I use a three part solution I add with medical dosing pumps, calcium solution, alk solution and magnesium solution. All are cheap to make and useful if you have a heavily populated coral tank. Water exchanges are all that's needed for anything not heavily loaded, but if you are wanting wall to wall coral, you need to supplement.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great! I wanted to get the kit from BRS, but I figured if my other parameters are where they should be, why waste the other supplements?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The kit is composed of the same stuff we were discussing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com