Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ballast questions

I read a post here recently, about electronic or magnetic ballasts.

Someone replied electronic is the best for multiple reasons...so my question is, what type of ballast is a "core and coil design"? and are those any good...in relation to electronic?

I also had a question about a light fixture with "Tempered Glass Lense" is this something you would want??

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-31-2003, 06:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Core and coil is not electronic. Are they good? Yes, many people use them every day. An electronic ballast, however, will run cooler, last longer, use less energy, and will usually prolong bulb life because they operate at a higher frequency than the magnetics or core/coil types. Some of the electronics also have a "soft start" feature that prolongs bulb life even more. IMO, electronic ballasts are worth the money in VHO, PC, or MH.

Assuming you're talking about only MH lighting, the fixture with the "tempered glass lense" may have been an HQI type. These produce a lot of UV light and aquarium inhabitants (and you) need to be shielded from it...usually with UV blocking glass. It's tempered to resist breakage. Tempered glass is tougher and will be less likely to shatter due to sudden temp changes...like when a zillion watts of high intensity lighting comes on . Some of the PC fixtures also have a glass shield...primarily to protect the bulbs from damage.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks loganj!!! That was very helpful. The light fixture im referring to is a new MH/PC full system that comes with the "tempered glass lense" So would I need the lense for the two MH and two PC's?
These lighting systems are available at http://www.aquaticco.com/index.htm

They all come with PFO ballasts, which are core/coil type. The prices are fairly resonable.

I wonder if someone who knows about MH/PC lighting could check out the web site and let me know if these systems are worth the money, or could I find something better for the same price or cheaper. I was looking at the 48" 250watt MH/CF system.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Electronic balasts are also quiter than magnetic ones
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
www.petsupplyliquidator.com 567.00 includes shipping. 2x250mh 10,000k x 2x55wattpc's. does not have to have sheild. 19.99 more and i got legs to keep 6in above tank. 3-5-03 got this. that sounds good with 2 96watt cf. they look like pc to me. my 2 55wattpc's are nice, but like everything else in this hobby now i want more. this has the electronic balast, including sunrise/sunset.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman11111
www.petsupplyliquidator.com 567.00 includes shipping. 2x250mh 10,000k x 2x55wattpc's. does not have to have sheild. 19.99 more and i got legs to keep 6in above tank. 3-5-03 got this. that sounds good with 2 96watt cf. they look like pc to me. my 2 55wattpc's are nice, but like everything else in this hobby now i want more. this has the electronic balast, including sunrise/sunset.
Just to let everyone know, I used to hear nothing but good things about PetSupplyLiquidators.com, but recently (since Bruce left) I have heard nothing but complaints. I have no personal experience with these suppliers, so take it for what it's worth.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefaddict
I wonder if someone who knows about MH/PC lighting could check out the web site and let me know if these systems are worth the money, or could I find something better for the same price or cheaper. I was looking at the 48" 250watt MH/CF system.
OK, I looked at the system you mentioned. It doesn't come with bulbs and it uses core/coil ballasts. So you're starting out at $584.00...adding $200 for MH bulbs and another $60 for the CF/PC actinic bulbs which brings you to a grand total of about $844.00. You can buy a similar hood from Champion Lighting for $785.00 with 10,000k Blueline 250w bulbs and the PC actinics.

Blueline 48'' MH/PC Aluminum Hood With 2x250w E-Ballast And 10k Blueline Lamps

It has electronic Blueline ballasts and a splash shield. I can vouch for Champion Lighting...they are knowledgeable and have EXCELLENT customer service. Call them up and talk to Perry...tell him Logan from Captive Raised Corals sent you. The down side is this fixture is out of stock, but expected back in by mid Sep so only a couple of weeks to wait...worth it IMO. HTH.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again to everyone! This is some good posting, very informative!

Loganj, thanks for taking the time to check that site out for me, I was a little sketchy about the core/coil ballasts and not coming with bulbs. I will call Champion Lighting, thanks for the reference!

The New 105

Tags
ballast

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com