Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Banded cat shark

I have a 46 gallon saltwater tank with dual bio wheels and standard florescent lights and it is a fish only tank with a banded cat shark and a larger tomato clown. I spoke with the local fish store before purchasing the shark and they thought that everything would be fine. I do have plans in the next year or so to get a 180 gallon tank to better suit him. Is there any basic advice anyone can offer about what to feed him, other fish, shelter, or any thing else you can advise that would be great. I just want to make sure He is as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I know that they need a soft sand substrate. I also know they are considered aggressive. I have no first hand experience, but would think the inverts and smaller fish will become a snack food. I have also seen these sharks top 3 ft in an aquarium situation, that being said, I would ponder whether or not the 180 is going to be large enough.

Lights are not an issue with a fish only tank. I dont think your filtration is going to be able to handle the water quality issues that will soon start occuring.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

what kind of water problems are you refereing to? I really want to keep the shark but do you think it is out of the question? so far my water quality is good my ph is a little low. I have my water tested weekly and bi monthly water changes.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am referring to the fact that the shark will produce a high amount of waste matter, and in doing so, will play havoc with your water quality. If the decision were mine to make, I would have to pass.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A banded cat shark is a poor choice for almost any home aquarium. It has a minimum tank size of 180gal, far less then the 46gal you list. Sorry....this one is best left alone.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=290
I would wait until the upgrade happens, even then, not a great choice.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

i kept a whitespotted bamboo shark for about 8 months. I bought him as a small tank born and raised baby about 7 inches long. I have a 75g tank which was fine for him at the time i bought him and even at the time that i got rid of him. he was about 10 inches when i sold him back to the fish store where i bought him. i never had any problems with him, but i also read about 3 books and researched on the internet constantly. Here is some of the stuff i learned about keeping sharks in an aquarium. First off that filter isn't gonna get the job done. A wet dry is a must, they produce way to much waste and are terribly sloppy eaters. A large varied diet is a must along with vitamin supplements. I fed lancefish, krill, and a specially formulated shark food, supplemented with HUFA and garlic elixers. Also like someone else said, fine sand is a must and there should be no tank decorations. They should be provided with as much ground surface area as possible since they r bottom dwelling sharks. Also don't bother with inverts because they become expensive snakcs for the shark. And i wouldnt recommend any other tank mates, small passive fish will become snacks also and larger or more aggressive fish will pick at the skark causing stress and other possible injuries or death. And i 180g isn't going to be large enough for a full grown Banded Shark.

The one i had was great and i liked having him. I never had any problems, i just got bored with having a tank that i couldn't do anything with because the shark doesn't go well with any other sea creatures. I am getting into rare angelfish and i find it much more interesting and they look much nicer.

PS. I would also look into a protein skimmer and UV sterilizer if i were u. They r gonna cost an arm and a leg for a tank big enough to house that shark. They r pretty sensative when it comes to water quality so u gotta have everything.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all of your advice, I decided to return him last night. Thanks Again.

Tags
shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com