Banggai Cardinal fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So when I get my 55g up running. Hopefully something with on this next month, I'm gonna trade out my sixline for a trio of cardinals. Just wanna double check that a trio will be fine, they won't bully the odd one or anything

So when I get my 55g up running. Hopefully something with on this next month, I'm gonna trade out my sixline for a trio of cardinals. Just wanna double check that a trio will be fine, they won't bully the odd one or anything
IMO they will!
You will have 1 when all is said and done IMO.
I have 1!
I got like 5 or six on sale long ago and added them to my 120 from NJ.
They are not friendly to each other at all and groups of ten(10) plus are recommened when I finally did major research!
I still have one and he is fine,but I will not add back to this stocking.
Should really be no surprise as this fish is "easily breed" but the fry are cannibalistic!
Maybe a leopard doesn't change it's spots?
Looked but couldn't find links(sorry this makes my post not what most are going to say).
Mine were all ORA capative bred.
I have one left two years later in a 120g!
It definitely ,slowly (never saw aggression) killed the others!

Small schools do well in trio's or more just be sure the majority of them are female ,
otherwise they will fight I had a trio of three females had them almost 3 years
I also had a trio of pajamas and they all schooled together , if you plane on keeping more aggressive fish cardinals aren't a good choice as they are basically laid back on chill mode and would be picked on constantly

Nah, I'm just going for a peaceful reef tank. Don't want anybody picking on anything expect for the expected squabbles. Open for suggestions on this. So far I've planned a common firefish along with a purple an to add a pair of designer clowns last (still iffy on that) if I go with cardinals I'll be very picky on them then don't want them to kill each other

That's what's good about this forum. I bought 5 cardinals a few years back and have only one big one left. He however is a great reef fish.
I think the advice about big schools is correct.

I use to buy 5 chromis at a time and they slowly died off. Last year I bought 13 and have only lost one. Numbers seem to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom