Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

banggai cardinal question

I saw a banggai cardinal fish at my lfs for the first time yesterday and they are holding it until next Saturday for me. I did some searching on the internet last night about this fish and the only thing that I am worried about is that they seem to be finiky eaters. I am putting it in with 2 false clowns. Has anyone on this forum had any expierance with this fish? I am feeding my clowns flake,pellet and frozen mysis. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This fish is very hardy and adjusts to aquarium life nicly. The diet should be fine, variety is the key and do not forget to suppliment those vitamins and such. Selcon is a grat suppliment as well as Vita-chem. Might want to try some cypolp-eez as well.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have one that eats frozen brine shrimp from the surface before it even thaws. He'll just swallow a whole big chunk. When I first got him he would eat nothing else, but now he eats mysis as well. Mine also lives with a pair of false percs and a firefish. Tends to hang in one spot, not much of a swimmer.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
Gosh, mine would eat anything!!! Great fish, that really likes to show itself off in the middle of the tank.

I have heard that some people keep them in schools.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll be picking him up in the morning.Hopefully since he has been at the pet for over a week he will eat prepared food ok. I'll ask the owner to let me see him eat before I buy him. What do you think my clowns will do when I first put him in the tank? They are curious creatures! lol
Old 03-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
none of mine ever touch flake or pellet. They starve on days I feed that. They eat brine and mysis like crazy tho. I think the captive bred will eat anything and the wild caught prefer the meatier food. Just a possibility.

Clowns will probably investigate it then leave it alone. I think the banggai like company tho, just something to consider.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
I agree with hara. They do like company. It is best if you have room to purchase at least two at a time.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got back from the lfs and the cardinal I wanted had died during the week.(no phone call from the lfs either). He told the order last week came in cold and the fish wouldn't eat. The latest order he got in this past Thursday was shipped without heat packs and all the fish was dead on arrival. Its a shame Gods creatures were treated this way. Someone ought to stick the shippers in a freezer for a day or two and see if they like it!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #9

The ones i had never refused any food put in front of them. They used to eat till they litterally threw up. Evry once in a while i would feed htem a small feeder guppy. Not the best thing for them to eat but real fun to watch the chase!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome thread!! At the moment I'm acclimating a Bangghai - it's the first fish going into my tank. I have about 10 more minutes to go (two shotglasses of water at 5 min intervals after dripping for a while), then he's in. Later on I'll turn the lights back on and still later go for a feeding.

Don't have room for more in a 30 gal, so he's on his own (for now).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banggai cardinal, cardinal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com