Ok I found some info online where people use the JBJ ATO in alternative configs.
But at the end of the day I figured the simplest "failsafe" method is setting up a drip line directly in the DT with the aqualifter.
I use the pump close to max lift height with a Gardenia drip irrigation outpout I normally use for drip acclimating new fish.
I set up the drip rate to about 2ml/min. Should be about right. I'll adjust as I go. See pics.
I figure this is fairly safe and gives me a lot of time to react in case evaporation conditions change. Also safe in case of pump failure since most of the evap occurs in DT. Safe in case of blocked overflow as well.
If I have to leave for a week or 2 l could lower the water line and revert to HOB
skimming and add a power head to match sump circulation to be on the absolute safe side.
I still like to hear how other solved this ATO sump puzzle.