Bartlett anthias....spawning????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I grabbed the camera real quick and just started snapping away. I've heard they spawn as soon as the lights go out. Maybe they are practicing?

bartlett1_12-08.jpg

bartlett2_12-08.jpg

bartlett3_12-08.jpg

bartlett4_12-08.jpg

bartlett5_12-08.jpg

Great pics Larry. I`ve never been able to get mine to spawn. That I know of anyway. LOL Again great pics Larry.

Last edited:
Great pictures. Don't know anything about your specific fish but sure looks like spawning behaviour to me!

Thanks all.
I really don't know the spawning behavior for open water spawners, which is what anthias are. I know from my f/w days and cichlid breeding, the lock jaw activity is common between mated pairs, but I don't know what it means in this case. I don't know if open water spawners actually "pair up". I've also heard the female will swim up towards the surface and release the eggs with the male right behind fertilizing. That sounds like the last pic, but I didn't see any egg/sperm release.
I took those pics in a span of about 1 min. They carried on like that for maybe 1/2 hr, then just went back to their normal swimming around.

Back
Top Bottom