Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KoaGecko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey you guys
So I am starting a new tank soon and was wondering where you recommend getting base rock and what kind to get? Thanks:cool:

For me, I made my very own rock out of Portland cement and other ingredients. Saved myself tons of money. Does take awhile for it to cure but it's all worth t in the end.

I also recommend BRS pukani dry rock. I ordered 100 lbs and got more than enough beautiful natural looking pieces and some rubble for the refugium. They are fairly easy to aquascape and there are so many crevices for little critters to hide. The best value even if it is a little more money than other dry rock.

Depends on the size of your tank.. I am building a 220 so I ordered 100 pounds from reefrocks. That rock is ok, nothing special but by far the cheapest you will find.

I also ordered dry rock from brs (bulk reef supply). I ordered 50 pounds of tonga shelf rock and it is amazing. I cant wait to get my tank in the morning and start tinkering with the aquascape.

the shelf rock pieces are huge and probably wouldnt fit in a smaller aquarium.. I put photos on mu build thread.

I was real impressed with the Marco Key Largo dry rock from Premium Aquatics. $2.49/lb and some real neat shapes and extremely porous. And i was surprised how light weight it is. Got a lot more rock than what I expected to for my budget and for the size of the pieces. PA is also my lfs so I got to choose my pieces I wanted, but there was really no bad looking rock to get.

Depends on the size of your tank.. I am building a 220 so I ordered 100 pounds from reefrocks. That rock is ok, nothing special but by far the cheapest you will find.

I also ordered dry rock from brs (bulk reef supply). I ordered 50 pounds of tonga shelf rock and it is amazing. I cant wait to get my tank in the morning and start tinkering with the aquascape.

the shelf rock pieces are huge and probably wouldnt fit in a smaller aquarium.. I put photos on mu build thread.

Good review. I just ordered 50lbs from reef rocks and thought it was really nice. The grass must be greener on brs.

MrPillow said:
Premium Aquatics - Aquarium Supplies has some great rock in the clearance section for $1.50/lb. Not sure how much they have left so if you have a big order they might not be able to handle all of it.

I was up there last weekend and they had a small box full of it that only had maybe 8 of 9 pieces left in it. But they may have some set back somewhere for online orders or something. Not positive if that was it. But I've also gotten some of that rock, and that was some real good rock too. A little heavier than the Marco rock, but for $1.50/lb, it was WELL worth it

Back
Top Bottom