base rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm slowly but surely getting to my 2lbs/gal LR so i can ditch my canister as a biological filter. I need about 30 more lbs. If I buy base rock instead of lr, how long do you think it will take to seed so i can include that into my 2lbs/gal?

is hirocks a good place to buy from or has anyone had success with a different place?

If you can afford it, try liverocks.com...
Their base rock has more live on it then the live rock from my LFS ! I got 60 pounds of keys and 30 base and it's Awesome !

From what I understand the only difference between the LR.com baserock and their liverock is that the baserock has been in their storage tanks for a longer period of time. So the hitchikers are less numerious.

To answer the question about time frame. Give the dry baserock 2 weeks in your tank and by then it should have plenty of bactera living on it to act as a filter.

From what I understand the only difference between the LR.com baserock and their liverock is that the baserock has been in their storage tanks for a longer period of time. So the hitchikers are less numerious.

It is not that it does not have as much life in terms of hitchikers, but the color is less. There is still a ton of life and it helps a lot when you get a mix of base and reg rock, even if you get a small amount of reg rock.

I got my baserock from hirocks and was pleased with it. I will be ordering my LR from liverocks.com in the next few weeks

Hirocks is a great place to buy the base rock. I am in my 5th month in my tank and I can tell a big difference in the base rock. It has some pretty good coralline algae growth on it.

It shouldnt take more than 6 months or so to "propagate" your base rock. When building, try to mix pieces together instead of piling all the base on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom