BASE ROCK TO LIVE ROCK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon tank with some base rock and couple of fish. The tank is already cycled and been running for couple months. I wanted to add approximately 50 pounds of live rock into the tank from an online site. What is the best way to add the rocks when there is gonna be some die offs? Will the rocks harm the fish that i already have in the tank if i add it strait to the tank?

Te rock you recieve will probably need to go through a cycling, the dying stuff needs to die off b4 you start to revitilize the LR. SMell the rock when u receive it and if it has any non ocean smelling odor, any rotten smell at all, then i would QT that rock until the smell goes away and the water tests come out with no ammonia and trites or trates.

I moslty guarantee you if you add the rocks directly, it may cause an ammonia spike. Keep in mind the rocks are not shipped in water... so stuff will start to die

If you QT the rocks and the water tests come out good after a few days, then the rock you got is cycyled and made it thru the shipping process pretty well!

I would not put the LR into a tank with existing fish before knowing for sure it was cycled properly.

Hope that helps!

I totally agree with xahx. I would never put the rock directly in my tank. So far I've gotten 5 different shipments of LR, and each time I've put them in a QT with a strong powerhead for at least 1 1/2 weeks. I even went as far as doing complete water changes on the QT and lightly scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush with each water change. Needless to say, when it came time to putting the LR in the main tank, my ammonia levels never budged.

Check out www.liverocks.com
great rock, great prices and great customer service. They ship their rock very well and state it does not need to be re-cured. It is ready to go right into the tank. Some agree with this and some do not. However, most here (including myself) have never had a problem wit ammonia spike from rock from liverocks.com. You should be able to add it right to your tank, but given the age of your tank I would be prepared to do a 20% water change if needed. If you see an ammonia spike it will be small, at best.

Back
Top Bottom