Base Rock using it or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acronuts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
Has anyone used base rock from a company called Marcorocks.
Saw them on ebay and the company seems to have very good high grade remarks.
I am interested in finding out if any one who used this rock and eventually learned that the rock leached phosphates or anything else over time.
I really want to add some rock to my new 180 setup but want to save money by adding some base rock from a reputable source.

marcorocks is very popular in the industry and very reputable. I haven't personnaly used them, but know lots that have. Don't think you'll be disappointed if you go that route.

I have ordered from Mark a few times and love the rock!

I ordered from a different company, can't remember the name right off the top of my head. They are located in Minnesota which I thought was kind of funny.
At any rate, make absolutely sure you cure it before putting it in your DT.
I ordered about 5 lbs and it gave off epic amounts of ammonia.
Right now, a week or so into the curing, my nitrites are just spiking.
Really cool rock though :)

roka64 did you cycle with those rocks or did you just add the rocks after your tank was already cycled? Either way have you had any problems with algae blooms or phosphate coming from.
And lastly is your base rock from Fiji?

js. i just ordered base rock from marco. i got the key largo 25 pound .

My tank is already cycled. LR as well. I have too many sps's, corals and fish. I need rock to add to my new 180g. The display will also include my current LR scattered throughout. I can't afford a cycle as this will surely kill my animals.

Base rock is affordable but it seems it still has to be cured somewhat.
What do I do? How many lbs can I add and be safe?

I may have to go to LFS and get cured LR to avoid any problems. But that means paying more LR.

have a brute trashcan or a big rubbermade tote? You can cure the rock in that. It doesn't have to be in your tank to cure. Cure it in your garage or something and make sure it's ready, then you can add it to your tank worry-free.

I agree, marcorocks has quite a bit of dried up critters. You could either cure it like Neilan said or you could add a little of it at a time to your DT and watch for an ammonia spike and do some PWCs. If you already have an established tank with plenty of alreay cured rock you could add some of the base and already cured rock should be able to convert the ammonia into nitrAtes with out a spike.
Looking at your stocking, I wouldn't risk adding it directly to your main.
I would probably go with the curing in a bin. Add SW a heater and ph, if you don't see ammonia after about 4 days you should be good....I would wait for a week just in case.

I will hold off on the delivery of the tank. I want to add some very large pieces of base rock. Marcorocks looks as though it is really what I want. Plus the added benefit of no critters. Dead is fine but not live ones.

Hey roka64, correct me if I am wrong I don't want to cycle this base rock in fresh RO water, right?
I should use SW right away with a skimmer, right?

Would you guys think that adding some pieces of live rock from my display during the second week will start the seeding process? If so how many pieces should I add?

Should I keep this bin dark? or does this not matter?

I agree, marcorocks has quite a bit of dried up critters. You could either cure it like Neilan said or you could add a little of it at a time to your DT and watch for an ammonia spike and do some PWCs. If you already have an established tank with plenty of alreay cured rock you could add some of the base and already cured rock should be able to convert the ammonia into nitrAtes with out a spike.
Looking at your stocking, I wouldn't risk adding it directly to your main.
I would probably go with the curing in a bin. Add SW a heater and ph, if you don't see ammonia after about 4 days you should be good....I would wait for a week just in case.

Cure in SW, FW and SW bacteria are different.
No skimmer.
You want to add two pieces of cured LR into the larger tank after 2 weeks? Are you planning on moving all of your old tank and critters into the 180?
I think I am confused. Explain what you are planning on doing...
You really don't need light for the bin.

I am planning to move everybody LR, corals and fish to the 180g. Currently I do not have enough large pieces of LR to take advantage of the NEW width and height of the tank. Larger pieces of base rock along with what I have which are smaller pieces should make an excellent aquascape.
Since I want to stay on budget I thought why not base rock.
But base rock has to be purchased from a reputable dealer.
Hence all my questions.
Hope this clarifies......

Ok, you can move all the old stuff from your old tank to the new one right away, since you aren't adding to the bioload. I would suggest replacing the old sand with new and then use a cup or 2 from the old tank to help seed the new sand.
Cure the BR in the bin, add the LR from your old tank to the new one.
I generally do about 75% BR to 25% LR.

Back
Top Bottom