Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nuts! I only have the 3's in my stockpile of stuff. Hate to go out and buy 4's when I haven't even taken the 3's out of the box yet.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
You can stay with the # 3's those should be ok but just in case you ever want to upgrade... 2 #4's would be good 2...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Birdsnest is not considered a hardy sps coral and many wild-taken colonies decline rapidly in aquariums. Captive-raised tend to fare much better. The same goes for table acroporas, usually considered challenging. What else is in your tank coral-wise?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tend to agree with Kurt that there is something else going on in the tank. Even with low flow and reduced lighting SPS will live they just wont look all that great. I think there is something in the tank that is causing the decline of the SPS corals. Do you have leathers in the tank? I would think the lighting would be a bigger issue then the flow.

What are your water parameters looking like? What kind of fish are in the 72?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I tend to agree with Kurt that there is something else going on in the tank. Even with low flow and reduced lighting SPS will live they just wont look all that great. I think there is something in the tank that is causing the decline of the SPS corals. Do you have leathers in the tank? I would think the lighting would be a bigger issue then the flow.

What are your water parameters looking like? What kind of fish are in the 72?
The 72 tank has 2 clown fish, a yellow tang and a 6 line wrasse (I just got rid of a large hippo tang a few days ago FWTW). I have 2 rbta's, a ton of lps (which I'd be happy to list if needed), 2 leathers and 1 devils hand, 1 large maxima clam and a medium sized crocea clam.

As for the parameters....

Ammonia 0
Nitrates .1
Nitrite 0
CA = 380 (I know this should be higher)
Alk is approximately 7 dKH
Phosphates (I hate this subject) .1 ppm

I have a phosphate reactor that is running phosban in it.....I change the media about every 4-6 weeks. It seems like I constantly battle phosphates. I've changed my resin (in the ro/di unit) every 3 months just for good measure.

I think I've included everything....if I missed something necessary, please ask.

Thank you!!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Now that's what I call a mixed reef.
I assume your running lots of carbon? Might be some heavy chemical warfare going on in there.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I see a couple of things that could be causing your SPS to fail. The alk level is low and your ca is low as well. As Larry mentioned I hope you are running GAC pretty much all the time on the tank. Everything else is ok..you really want to get rid of those phosphates but that wont stop/kill sps corals.

Getting your Alk and CA levels up along with more lighting and more flow should help but again there are no guarantees.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a media bag filled with carbon that I keep in the filter sock in the sump. Is that enough?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you change it out?

Didn't think about the leathers... that could be an issue. I think most folks that do SPS well don't have any soft corals at all... or at least not the ones known to be fairly toxic.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I was wondering when you guys were going to come in an take over...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com