Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

basic sps questions

I have an ongoing problem keeping any sps corals in my 72 gallon tank. I've tried many different types (birdsnest, various acros) and they all end up half dead and then I move them to my other 40 gallon tank and they grow like nuts.

I have a T5HO lighting fixture on the 72 and I always place the sps corals up towards the top of the tank on some lr. I'm very good about 20% pwc every week on both tanks. After a week or so they start to go downhill - loosing color and parts dieing off. If they haven't completely died off I'll move them to the other tank (mh lighting). I have tons of flow in that smaller tank and obviously the more lighting.

After moving the corals they really seem to take off after 2-3 weeks.

I've tried to figure out why I can't keep any sps corals in my larger tank and I've come to the assumption that I don't have enough flow in the tank to keep them? Does that seem likely? If so, do you think I could get some extra flow going in just a small area of that tank?

I've checked the water and they both test very similar with a small difference in CA.....but nothing too wild.

What do you think/suggest?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
How much Flow do you have in your 75 Gallon? Saltwater fish tanks need about 20-30 GHP for each gallons so just depending on how much flow you have now....

For example my 55g may need if that 1375 GPH so all depending on how much rock work you have you may need more, but from what I know most SPS need very High flow rate.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
I'll bet it's flow issues
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
How much Flow do you have in your 75 Gallon? Saltwater fish tanks need about 20-30 GHP for each gallons so just depending on how much flow you have now....

For example my 55g may need if that 1375 GPH so all depending on how much rock work you have you may need more, but from what I know most SPS need very High flow rate.
Hmmm....If I remember correctly I think I only have 1200 gph in my tank. I have 2 brand new korlia (sp?) ph's that I could put in the tank but I'd have to be careful so I don't make the clams cranky.

What is the best position for the ph's? Mid tank pointing up?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Look at this diagram maybe this can help you with your position I would say keep them high to mid...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POWERHEAD-PLACEMENT.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	17230  
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that is an AWESOME diagram!! exactly what I needed.....thanks very much!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not flow. If you're seeing a decline in just a week or so, I'm thinking it's something else. Not sure what... but something else. Then again, testing the flow theory is easy enough.

I think the gph figure is kind of like the watts/gallon figure... it's a good tool for rough estimating, but it really gets down to what you do with that flow and where you place your corals. It also gets funky because the same flow rate from different powerheads will give you totally different currents. I always equate the flow *velocity* (which is really what you're after) of a MaxiJet 900 to that of a Koralia #2, but if you look at the flow capacity (gph) they're really really different.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
very true kurt...Maxi jet flow is more of a streamy blasting jet, where as Koralia spreads the flow over a wider area. I dig Koralias
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, I just ordered a beautiful ORA Red Planet Table Acro and I have a perfect place to put in my 72 tank.....but I don't want to chance it if it's gonna croak. I think I'll try putting in a couple of Koralias (3) and see what happens. If the fish start looking like they're in a whirlpool I'll change things around and maybe have to move it. Then again, I can't have too much or the clams aren't going to like it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I would try 2 # 4's IMO

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com