Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I don't follow you...what does that mean?

Sorry

no thats spot on.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
so you always leave that plugged in? btw, i googled the xantrex and they still sell them.
Amazon.com: Xantrex XPower Powerpack 400 Plus Portable Backup Power Source: Automotive
Nope... that's not it. That's the "Powerpack", and I'm specifically talking about the "PowerSource". The "Powerpack 400" has considerable less capacity than the "PowerSource". Last I checked, there were still a few "PowerSource 400" floating around the resellers, but Xantrex has discontinued them. When they *were* being sold, I picked up two at BestBuy for about $150. Really cheap considering how many amp-hours the thing puts out.

Anyway... yeah, I leave it plugged in all the time. It takes care of the essentials if I'm not at home and lose power. Or if I am home and don't want to go hook up the generator right away, and wait it out. But I *do* have a nice little Honda generator to run things, just in case. I've used it a couple times. Too much invested in the tank to do otherwise.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
ahh..this one...
Xantrex PowerSource 400 - DonRowe.com
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup... that's the one.

I still scratch my head that they didn't sell like hotcakes. Don't think they advertised very well. I mean... from the standpoint of powering a computer, most UPSs will only run long enough to get you shut down in an orderly manner... 10-15 minutes. That Xantrex unit could let you work for 6-8 hours running your computer, printer, and a desk lamp! And they were about the same price as that 10-15 minute UPS. Even if they doubled their price and sold them for $300+, they'd still be a bargain for the capacity they offered.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Genny will be in my future house.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

... and I'm sure she'll be happy there.

????
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #17
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Genny will be in my future house.
Interesting... What thread did you think you were replying to?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty sure Genny = Generator.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
... and I'm sure she'll be happy there.

????
lol
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here's a back-up idea that will work in an emergency and isn't too expensive: Get a power inverter designed to work off your car battery. They come in 250W & up -size it to the equipment you need to run in an outage. Get one that has clips that connect directly to your auto battery terminals (not the one that works thru the cig lighter only). When the power goes out, you hook it to the car battery, start the car, and plug in an extension cord to the unit's AC plug and then to your pumps (or perhaps a small heater) & you're good to go. So you're basically using your car as a generator (keep the car outside, not your garage!). If it's cold you need to figure out a way to run the cord into the house without creating a huge draft and losing heat. I ran mine thru a small window and used painter's tape to close it off. To keep heat in the tank, consider buying a few quilted mover's blankets (very cheap) to cover the tank to reduce heat loss a little bit. Of course these ideas require you to actually be there to take action in the event of a power loss, and in some areas it might not be a good idea to have an unattended car running all night. If you are a boater, you may have deep cycle marine batteries at your disposal. Unlike car batteries which are designed for high amp starting power, these provide longer continuous power. They can be linked to form a bank and an converter can turn them into a DIY UPS.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com