Battery Operated Siphons, are they any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to get something more powerful than a standard siphon for cleaning my tank. Due to where it is placed, it isnt practical to get the siphon that hooks to my sink (I think its called the Python?).

Can anyone recommend a nice system that will do a good job? TIA.

Andy

I have a gasoline siphon from walmart that works great I get fill a 5 gallon bucket then dump then do it again.I also have the python but rarely use it .I do most of my pwc late at night.

I think Andy is looking for one that uses a battery to get the suction started. Andy, do you have a specific product in mind, like a website we could see? Have you looked into a possible water pump that might work for you?

I am concerned that using a pump might take too much substrate out. It seems that the standard siphons lose their suction too soon, and bigger items fall back to the substrate. I would like to get something that will get into the substrate and really clean it up. I saw a battery operated unit at Petco, but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say.

I agree, what are you trying to do? When I do a PWC, I just stick the hose in the water, not near the substrate and let it drain the water.

Typically, I only siphon water. I have no problems doing that. However, when I want to get into the substrate and get detritus, etc siphoned out, I lose the suction quickly and all the crud goes back into the substrate. I want to find something that will get it out easily.

AndyH5512 said:
Typically, I only siphon water. I have no problems doing that. However, when I want to get into the substrate and get detritus, etc siphoned out, I lose the suction quickly and all the crud goes back into the substrate. I want to find something that will get it out easily.
This takes practice. I have found that I pull the substrate into the tube then lean it so the substrate falls back down and the suction still sucks up the funk....

Back
Top Bottom