Battling red cyno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think from what people are telling me i have red cyno but how do i fight it?and i dont use rodi but its not in my 10g and i use tap water for that too i have lights for like 11hrs a day and i feed my two clowns evry day,sometimes twice and have a cuc of 1 hermit and 3 snails that stay mostly on glass so anybody have an all out battle plan for me other than rodi water cuz i cant do that...

From what I have been told if u don't change from tap water then it gonna be very hard work

1. Feed 2 or 3 times a week, tops.
2. Use R.O.D.I. from now on. (i'm sure you can buy it somewhere. At least use distilled water from Walmart)
3. Do weekly water changes, vacuuming out the cyano with each change.

In addition to what Doug said, cut the lights back to 2-4 hours a day. Re-point a powerhead to get more flow in the area where the cyano is growing. Replace your bulbs if they are over a year old.

If all else fails, Boyd's Chemi-Clean will work, but it is not a cure.

Are your bulbs old? Maybe need changing. Use some phosphate media and chemi pure helped me rid cyano. It is a long process. I still have some small patches. Do more frequent water changes and must siphon out like X said. Don't blow off rocks it will spread. I dealt with it for 6 or 7 months but my tank was still very healthy nothing seemed to be effected by cyano. A patch of zoas did get over run few times but since cyano gone they are all opened again.

Yes my bulbs are old but what does that have to do wiff anything???

I have been battling Cyano myself for awhile now and i have lowered my feedings, photo time, and i vacuumed it out every week with my water changes. You have to hit it at the source which is most likely your tap. You will most likely just have to get the ro/di unit i didnt want to either but i am in the process of finding an economical one now.

Sharklover said:
Yes my bulbs are old but what does that have to do wiff anything???

Your bulbs should be changed yearly if using t5 or power compact. The spectrum can change and will promote algae growth. Cyano specifically.

It can also be set off by selenium concentrations running too high from the tap water. Selenium is needed to form Cyanobacteria and it can be the problem as well as low flow and higher organic concentrations in your water. There are several products that bind to selenium and remove it, but in the end it is the tap water IMO causing it.

I dnt think its the tap water because my 10g is the same exact age,same perameters and same tap water but no cyno but on tuesday im going to get 2 blue chromis and a few new cuc members so ill get the new bulb,reduce feedings,and try to increase water flow so hopefully it will be under control by the time the chromis are done in qt and ready to go in the dt!

Bulbs have a lot to do with it believe it or not I had cyno in my 24 nano did everything would not go away I changed bulbs has not been back since ... Everything meaning cut back on feeding using rodi water and upping the water changes

Bulbs deff promote algae growth. And tap water is a cause for many problems I just recently changed over to ro di and am very glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom