Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

bc29 build help

Let me start by saying I'm a huge noob when it come to saltwater please excuse me if I have the wrong terminology and what not. As far as the biocube goes its a used 29g. Looks liike the false bottoms have been removed and a tab cut out between the 1st and 2nd chamber in the back. There is also a plastic grid fish saver thing taped up between the main tank and the filter area (I plan to secure it with something better than tape). It has the stock lighting with 36w 10k day/deep blue lights. There is also about 1/3 of the canopy cut out of the back above the 2nd chamber for a skimmer I was told.

I was asked in the intro thread what type of coral I want to keep, well to be honest I don't know the difference or the types available. I'm assuming with the stock lighting I'm limited to soft corals? Eventually I will upgrade the lighting but thats once I get the hang of saltwater. Any suggestions for beginner corals?

I'm wondering what to put in the filtration part of the tank. I want to put a heater in the first chamber but does anythign else go in there? I've seen pics of a few with live rock and plants in the 2nd chamber, how would I go about setting this up? Since I have the canopy cut open already simple enough to put a small light back there for the plants but should I have some type of media basket?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber420
Let me start by saying I'm a huge noob when it come to saltwater please excuse me if I have the wrong terminology and what not. As far as the biocube goes its a used 29g. Looks liike the false bottoms have been removed and a tab cut out between the 1st and 2nd chamber in the back. There is also a plastic grid fish saver thing taped up between the main tank and the filter area (I plan to secure it with something better than tape). It has the stock lighting with 36w 10k day/deep blue lights. There is also about 1/3 of the canopy cut out of the back above the 2nd chamber for a skimmer I was told.

I was asked in the intro thread what type of coral I want to keep, well to be honest I don't know the difference or the types available. I'm assuming with the stock lighting I'm limited to soft corals? Eventually I will upgrade the lighting but thats once I get the hang of saltwater. Any suggestions for beginner corals?

I'm wondering what to put in the filtration part of the tank. I want to put a heater in the first chamber but does anythign else go in there? I've seen pics of a few with live rock and plants in the 2nd chamber, how would I go about setting this up? Since I have the canopy cut open already simple enough to put a small light back there for the plants but should I have some type of media basket?
Can you post a pic of the filtration partŅ imo most coral are easy provided you keep up on husbandry but good ones to start with are zoas come in many different colors are small so dont take up room leathers are easy and forgiving but can grow very big star polyps easy but can overrun a tank pulsing xenia are easy but grow fast i grow my xenia on the glass so their easy to harvest as they grow but they are constantly pulsing which is neat to watch imo tho you cant go wrong with the zoas

Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go here and check out what they have.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm

It's probably why the false bottoms were knocked out. You can put a media basket and fuge in chamber 2 or you can do a media basket and a skimmer in chamber 2. Most will say you don't need a skimmer in a 29 gallon IF your religious with your weekly water changes. I have the Tunze9002 an do 5 gallon water changes every Friday and I honestly think running a skimmer is a waste (at least for me as I have yet to empty the cup)

I think inTank is a good place to start! You can run your purigen, filter floss and chemi pure elite in the basket and if you go the fuge route you can add cheato and seed the fuge with copepods. Your gonna did a fuge light also if you go that route, you can do a submersible light or one that goes on the outside and will shine through the window in the back. jbj make a fuge light and so does Coralife. You can also use a utility light with a deflector. The options are there it's all about budget and how far you wanna go.

As far as lights go. I found the stock lights to be junk for what I wanted to keep. Clams, sps, and other high light corals.

Now flow... If it came with the stock pump IMO I would upgrade with the MJ1200, the inTank site has it, it's just under a new name. It's worth the money your gonna want more flow.

I have the MJ1200 and a MP10 on my cube.

I also gutted the stock hood and installed the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture.

This should get your wheels spinning lol and bring about more questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1338758766.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	111210

Name:	image-1459030599.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	111212

Name:	image-3614614508.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	111213

Name:	image-2860531902.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	111214

Name:	image-4072286379.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	111216

Oh and you don't need the MP10 I was saying what I use. I use to have 2 Koralia 425's but in a small tank heat becomes an issue so I took them out. The MP10 is unique as the dry side is the motor so it doesn't go in the tank and won't create heat. The Koralia's are in the water motor and all.

http://www.marinedepot.com/HD00715+H...D00721-si.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/powerhead...peller-ap.html

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok light upgrade and return pump upgrade is on top of the list.

I'll forego the skimmer for now, but eventually i'll get one.
found this page exceptionally helpful for me to undersatnd the concept:
InTank Media Baskets

I'm going to look into the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture you mentioned, any other lighting options worth looking into? How did you mod the existing hood? just gut it then cut a hole? As for lighting the fuge I'll get a submersible light locally.

Question about live rock and how/if I can store it, I've found some that I can get at $3/lb but I don't think I'm ready to put it in the tank yet. Is there an easy way to store it? Also is it better to get the LR from the store or from a private sale? The person selling it says its been running in his system for 2 1/2 - 3 years. What should I look for in quality live rock?

Thanks for the great info, keep it coming.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

InTank Media Baskets

I'm going to look into the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture you mentioned, any other lighting options worth looking into? How did you mod the existing hood? just gut it then cut a hole? As for lighting the fuge I'll get a submersible light locally.

Question about live rock and how/if I can store it, I've found some that I can get at $3/lb but I don't think I'm ready to put it in the tank yet. Is there an easy way to store it? Also is it better to get the LR from the store or from a private sale? The person selling it says its been running in his system for 2 1/2 - 3 years. What should I look for in quality live rock?

I gutted the entire hood and then used a dremel saw to cut the whole. I was able to use the stock splash guard which made me happy. There are a few good DIY LED kits for the BC29 that you can look into. A quick google search and you'll find some. It's really up to you which way you wanna go.

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-2...trofit-kit.htm

Just an example. There are cheaper ones out there. I like the AI because well... I had the extra cash at the time and the controller is sweet! It ramps up from 7am to noon then stays steady for a few hours then ramps down until it hits moonlight setting.

If you could get the LR from a friends tank I would get it and put it in the tank. But if your not ready then wait... Your gonna want cured live rock BUT you don't need all LR a lot of people use base rock. Remember with LR comes hitchhikers. Some nice ones and some not so nice and the problem is you don't know until it's too late. I had a rough battle with majano which stinks! Also you could get worms and other not so nice things. Just something to be aware of. Some get LR an let it sit out in the sun to kill off anything (this is what I've read). So it's really up to you.

I did about 30 pounds of cured LR and 25 pounds of LS.

Name:	image-2443754561.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	111227

Name:	image-671144084.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	111228

Name:	image-185817438.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	111229

Name:	image-1396339971.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	111230

The tank is 9 months old.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I gutted the entire hood and then used a dremel saw to cut the whole. I was able to use the stock splash guard which made me happy. There are a few good DIY LED kits for the BC29 that you can look into. A quick google search and you'll find some. It's really up to you which way you wanna go.

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-2...trofit-kit.htm

Just an example. There are cheaper ones out there. I like the AI because well... I had the extra cash at the time and the controller is sweet! It ramps up from 7am to noon then stays steady for a few hours then ramps down until it hits moonlight setting.

If you could get the LR from a friends tank I would get it and put it in the tank. But if your not ready then wait... Your gonna want cured live rock BUT you don't need all LR a lot of people use base rock. Remember with LR comes hitchhikers. Some nice ones and some not so nice and the problem is you don't know until it's too late. I had a rough battle with majano which stinks! Also you could get worms and other not so nice things. Just something to be aware of. Some get LR an let it sit out in the sun to kill off anything (this is what I've read). So it's really up to you.

I did about 30 pounds of cured LR and 25 pounds of LS.

The tank is 9 months old.
Thumbs up thats one of the nicest biocubes ive seen
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

InTank Media Baskets

Youll probably be ok getting rock from friend id put it right in and start that cycle
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Youll probably be ok getting rock from friend id put it right in and start that cycle
Also check ebay for lights lotta good deals not name brand fixtures but i hear people are having good luck with leds from ebay try and get dimmables tho
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my biocube and Convict is a great help. I modded my hood with the AL Sol LEDs as well. I have a fuge and inTank basket in mine.

Attachment 111267

Attachment 111268
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also check this out if you haven't already.

Also a neat little tool to help keep your glass clean and can really get into some tight spots.

http://www.twolittlefishies.com/tlf_prod_access.html

Any questions just ask!

Tags
bc29, biocube, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com