Been away for some time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnNLuc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Well I've been gone for some time due to family problems but I'm back and ready to jump back into discussion. Well anyway I have a 46G Bow that runs off into a wet/dry which is filled with LR rubble instead of bio balls. My question is I have an extra PC light fixture and an empty 10G tank and was wondering should I make it a prop tank or a refugium? if so Should I plumb it from my main or the sump? thanks a lot guys.

Whats the intensity of the PC fixture? This will help decide on the prop tank part. You can easily make it into a refugium. I would just connect it to the sump.

Oh and welcome back.

That would be overkill for a fuge. If you need a frag tank, that would be a nice light. A fuge will give you added filtering though.

What do you want more :)

ellisz I know im sure I could use a regular strip light for my fuge. I have this one laying around collecting dust so I figured I could put it to use. Hmmm which one do I want more. I only have room for one under the tank and im a very indecisive person.

Welcome back and I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible thing and I can't imagine having been on the other end of the phone. Worst nightmare is right. The feeling of helplessness must have been all but overwhelming. How are his parents holding up?

As for the extra tank, make it a prop tank. You could use any old rubbermaid container for your fuge (that's what I did :D )

His parents, my aunt and uncle are not doing well at all. My uncle is worse than my aunt due to the fact he was on the phone with him, actually yelling at him b/c he was supposed to be home by 10:30. It's never right to bury your kids and for them it has been nothing but disaster

I was hoping that wasn't the case. Man that has to be one bad head trip. The guilt he feels must be completely overwhelming. I hope he's going to counceling. They probably both need it. Your right. Parents shouldn't have to bury their babies. I shudder at the thought of it.

They both go to counceling twice a week. I honestly believe everyone should go to counseling atleast once in there life to try it. Noone lives a picture perfect normal life and its not healthy to let your problems bottle up inside of you. If some of us went I know the therapist would need his own therapist after hearing some of our problems im sure 8O anyway so do I plumb this prop tank from my sump or my main and do I return the water to the sump or main?

Hmmm... I would pump out of your sump and return via overflow back to the sump. Here I'd end up with a separate system because there'd be no way for me to get 2 tanks close enough together to have them plumbed into the same system.

my problem is the sump and tank will be sitting the same height 3 feet from eachother. so my first chamber of the sump I add a pump and Pipe it over to the prop thank than I make a compartment in the 10G prop and have a power head or another pump move it back to the sump but into the return chamber of the sump?

Never recommended to pump in both directions. Getting matching flow rates, even with the same pump is tricky at best. Hmmmm...

noone ever said I was going to make this easy. raising the sump is not an option due to location of it and if they sit at the same height I can be assured gravity wont help me. Any other suggestions or have I stumped ya'll?

after doing some brain storming I have come up with an idea. I have a U tube overflow what if I cut another hole into the outter overflow box and used a ball valve to regulate how much water gravity pulls down into the prop tank and just pumped the return line back into my return sump compartment?

Drill both tanks and connect them allowing water to move from one to another or get a larger sump that can do both.

Back
Top Bottom