Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I'm open to other types, I just don't know too many types of coral just known that Clowns are typically related with anemonies unless youre speaking with an advanced aquarist or so on. That and of course I like the look of anemonies, but im open to suggestions! Do you have more types that may work?

Plus, I'm not sure what to do about live rock. I don't know how much or any tips on that as well?
Clowns are weird fish and very unpredictable! My ocellaris just randomly started hosting my gonipora one day after months of being in my tank. It's really a hit or miss with them. I've heard of clowns hosting filters, power heads, the sand, rock... It's really random.

I'd try a torch coral, hammer, frogspawn, maybe Gsp? Gonipora, ... Something that flows. But dont be disappointed if they never host.

Also, it should be about 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon. I try to stick to 1 lb, but it's all personal preference

Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

^ what Evan said. He has a beautiful tank with a couple videos on his thread in the nano reef section and you can get some inspiration there. I just bought a frogspawn coral which my clowns are becoming friendlier with so maybe they will host it. The lighting is important though and don't worry not knowing a lot because this doesn't happen over night and as you go you will learn more!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Even though it is only a 20 Gallon that im turning into a SW, it's definitely exciting. I would have loved to put my 55 to it, but even from what I've heard and the type of fish I would like I feel like to adequately do a SW I would want at least a 100-125 gallon. Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to constrict things with too small of a tank. So this 20 tank is kinda like my practice tank lol yet its pretty exciting.

I'll have to look a few of those up here when I get a minute. I'm wondering where I could get some of those and live rock. I used to have quite a few local pet stores within 50 miles of here, but I cant seem to find just a fish store or a pet store that has much SW fish or equipment. My local pet store in my own town has some salt water, but not too much. To be honest, and to my knowledge, I think they had 2 clowns, a small yellow tang, and a triggerfish. Seems most places carry a small to decent variety of FW, but not too many carry SW. I'm wondering where to go. I hear of fish and live rock/coral farms, but have never seen one and would love to find one!

Another question or two: Live Rock is a must then I'm assuming, least it seems as a very reasonable and good idea. Corals, put some in (too)? I'm sure I'll learn more about it as I go, especially if I can find a good store
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live rock is extremely important IMO and probably most people's but you can add corals if you choose to as long as you have the correct lighting and have the proper amount of trace elements in the water, which can be done using pwc or supplements. If you choose to add corals I recommend adding them after you have finished stocking with fish so you allow your tank time to adjust to the bioload.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20 View Post
Live rock is extremely important IMO and probably most people's but you can add corals if you choose to as long as you have the correct lighting and have the proper amount of trace elements in the water, which can be done using pwc or supplements. If you choose to add corals I recommend adding them after you have finished stocking with fish so you allow your tank time to adjust to the bioload.
What type of lighting would be one to look at? Type, Watts, certain company?
PWC? And I've heard someone talk about a mini protein skimmer, good idea?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pwc is partial water changes. The trace elements are found in the salt mix so the water changes help replenish those. And I do not run a protein Skimmer on my 20 gallon and im pretty sure the general consensus is that they aren't needed on a manor tank. As to the lighting.... its really a personal preference. Odysea makes a good light for relatively cheap. Led is more expensive but adds a shimmer to the water making it look more ocean like while having the option to dim them on some units. T5 like I run are simple and work just fine. I guess this is a dying phrase but I have 48 Watts of light over my 20 gallon. So about 2.5 watts per gallon and I have kept many types of coral successfully. Liveaquaria has a lighting chart with suggestions about how much Watts to have to keep a coral so judge your needs off of that chart after you decide what corals you're interested in.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO I think a skimmer is all but a must. Although water changes will remove some of the waste there is a lot of proof out there that the more filtration the more stable a tank. Is it necessary? No. But will it help : absolutely.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #18

I may look into LED's I just bought a 48" Aqueon LED light bar for my 55gallon and put the glass lids on it. Looks pretty dang nice haha. So maybe a skimmer and a look at the chart. Do you happen to have a link?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
I may look into LED's I just bought a 48" Aqueon LED light bar for my 55gallon and put the glass lids on it. Looks pretty dang nice haha. So maybe a skimmer and a look at the chart. Do you happen to have a link?
How is the aqueon LED working for you?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey im really sorry about the delay in response! I have been so busy with school work I completely forgot! The link can be found on liveaquaria. Im on my pphone and don't know how to share links but if you click on a specific coral its lighting requirements will actually. E a hyperlink bringing you to the guidelines! Good luck!

Tags
20 gallon, anemone, beginner, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com