Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Beginner: 20 Gallons-2Clown-Anemone?

I am new to the site and have many questions, which is why I am here.

I have always wanted a salt water tank but always been told its best when using a larger tank, and I would agree when using common sense and logic. I just acquired a 55 Gallon tank and was really leaning toward putting to SW, but I realized I was better off putting it to Freshwater and my fish now just need more room.

Because of moving my current Freshwater fish to the 55gallon, I am opening up a 20 Gallon tank for any use. I was wondering if putting 2 clown fish, and an anemone in the tank would be too much?

If it would work, I was thinking of picking up a filter with (I've heard 7-10 times GPH is best for SW) better GPH, 1-2 power heads, a mini protein skimmer, live sand, and live rock. I'm asking for opinions, if its worth it or not, and what all would be recommended/suggested? ALSO: What type of clown fish/anemone? Percula/Ocellaris Clown Fish? Bubble Tip Anemone?

Thanks!
-D.Shaffer

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Turn over rate depends on what's in the tank. If you want corals at all you will want a much higher turnover (mine is 38x with much room for more)

On another note anemones are very hard to keep at first. The rule of thumb is to wait about a year for a BTA. I currently have a tube anemone which is a bit hardier and I did it after 6 months (which looking back was probably still too soon)

If you can afford to I recommend adding a sump to your system. I personally think nano tanks with sump systems (even if they are bigger than the DT) are a really cool build.

Also be aware that with SW it is often beneficial to spend the money up front. Look into skimmers, auto top off systems, and maybe even a UV filter. It may raise the price up front but from experience it will make the hobby much more enjoyable in the long run.

Just my thoughts

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Well, as it is only a 20 Gallon, would I have room for corals? I'm not sure what all to put in the tank to be honest. I just know I'd like to have two clowns. Do you have any thoughts on the bubble tip anemones, or even what to put in the tank? I'm still currently doing a little of my own research.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey happy to help again. I have a 20 gallon tank with two clowns and numerous corals and its a very simple. I would love to have the setup lime the guy above me described but I don't have the space or money just now. But in a simpler setup its perfectly possible too! J would wait for an anemone though for a long time though too.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20 View Post
Hey happy to help again. I have a 20 gallon tank with two clowns and numerous corals and its a very simple. I would love to have the setup lime the guy above me described but I don't have the space or money just now. But in a simpler setup its perfectly possible too! J would wait for an anemone though for a long time though too.

Hey Marty, haha thanks for helpin' so much. I appreciate it! ATM I have actually just added water to my 55gallon gallon, making sure no leaks. Then possibly going to pick up a good filter for it tomorrow. Still need gravel and cover for the fish going in it, but soon as I get that the tanke should be ready for the fish in the 20 Gallon to go in the 55. I'm sure it'll be a week or two yet, but then I'll have the 20 Gallon open and ready to be switched over to SW. I'm wondering what my first move with the 20 should be when changing it over to SW?

I was thinking 1" of live sand in the bottom, yes/no? I've never set up a SW tank so I'm a bit nervous. Almost need a walkthrough lol I'm not even sure on live rock/corals and what to do in that area haha. And you said, no anemone for quite a while?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #6

Shaffer, did you happen to setup the tank with the anemone and clown fish?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #7

Nope, not yet. It'll probably be a little bit as I'm working on setting up a 55gallon FW tank first. The 20gallon SW tank is next in line though.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You may want to try other corals instead of anemones! I have a 20 with 2 clowns and one hosts my gonipora! They have also been known to host torch corals, hammer, frogspawn... It all just depends on the fish. Sometimes they host, sometimes they don't. An anemone does need a more established tank, need high lighting, and move around and sting other corals. I would love one, but I know it would destroy my tank. Try looking into other coral!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post
You may want to try other corals instead of anemones! I have a 20 with 2 clowns and one hosts my gonipora! They have also been known to host torch corals, hammer, frogspawn... It all just depends on the fish. Sometimes they host, sometimes they don't. An anemone does need a more established tank, need high lighting, and move around and sting other corals. I would love one, but I know it would destroy my tank. Try looking into other coral!
I'm open to other types, I just don't know too many types of coral just known that Clowns are typically related with anemonies unless youre speaking with an advanced aquarist or so on. That and of course I like the look of anemonies, but im open to suggestions! Do you have more types that may work?

Plus, I'm not sure what to do about live rock. I don't know how much or any tips on that as well?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I'm open to other types, I just don't know too many types of coral just known that Clowns are typically related with anemonies unless youre speaking with an advanced aquarist or so on. That and of course I like the look of anemonies, but im open to suggestions! Do you have more types that may work?

Plus, I'm not sure what to do about live rock. I don't know how much or any tips on that as well?
I'm new to the hobby, but live rocks r 2to6 dollars per lb. They recommend 1 lb per 1 gal. No upkeep, the rocks just helps with the filtration of the water

Tags
20 gallon, anemone, beginner, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com