Beginner: 20 Gallons-2Clown-Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the site and have many questions, which is why I am here.

I have always wanted a salt water tank but always been told its best when using a larger tank, and I would agree when using common sense and logic. I just acquired a 55 Gallon tank and was really leaning toward putting to SW, but I realized I was better off putting it to Freshwater and my fish now just need more room.

Because of moving my current Freshwater fish to the 55gallon, I am opening up a 20 Gallon tank for any use. I was wondering if putting 2 clown fish, and an anemone in the tank would be too much?

If it would work, I was thinking of picking up a filter with (I've heard 7-10 times GPH is best for SW) better GPH, 1-2 power heads, a mini protein skimmer, live sand, and live rock. I'm asking for opinions, if its worth it or not, and what all would be recommended/suggested? ALSO: What type of clown fish/anemone? Percula/Ocellaris Clown Fish? Bubble Tip Anemone?

Thanks!
-D.Shaffer:fish2:

Turn over rate depends on what's in the tank. If you want corals at all you will want a much higher turnover (mine is 38x with much room for more)

On another note anemones are very hard to keep at first. The rule of thumb is to wait about a year for a BTA. I currently have a tube anemone which is a bit hardier and I did it after 6 months (which looking back was probably still too soon)

If you can afford to I recommend adding a sump to your system. I personally think nano tanks with sump systems (even if they are bigger than the DT) are a really cool build.

Also be aware that with SW it is often beneficial to spend the money up front. Look into skimmers, auto top off systems, and maybe even a UV filter. It may raise the price up front but from experience it will make the hobby much more enjoyable in the long run.

Just my thoughts

Well, as it is only a 20 Gallon, would I have room for corals? I'm not sure what all to put in the tank to be honest. I just know I'd like to have two clowns. Do you have any thoughts on the bubble tip anemones, or even what to put in the tank? I'm still currently doing a little of my own research.

Hey happy to help again. I have a 20 gallon tank with two clowns and numerous corals and its a very simple. I would love to have the setup lime the guy above me described but I don't have the space or money just now. But in a simpler setup its perfectly possible too! J would wait for an anemone though for a long time though too.

Hey happy to help again. I have a 20 gallon tank with two clowns and numerous corals and its a very simple. I would love to have the setup lime the guy above me described but I don't have the space or money just now. But in a simpler setup its perfectly possible too! J would wait for an anemone though for a long time though too.

Hey Marty, haha thanks for helpin' so much. I appreciate it! ATM I have actually just added water to my 55gallon gallon, making sure no leaks. Then possibly going to pick up a good filter for it tomorrow. Still need gravel and cover for the fish going in it, but soon as I get that the tanke should be ready for the fish in the 20 Gallon to go in the 55. I'm sure it'll be a week or two yet, but then I'll have the 20 Gallon open and ready to be switched over to SW. I'm wondering what my first move with the 20 should be when changing it over to SW?

I was thinking 1" of live sand in the bottom, yes/no? I've never set up a SW tank so I'm a bit nervous. Almost need a walkthrough lol I'm not even sure on live rock/corals and what to do in that area haha. And you said, no anemone for quite a while?

Shaffer, did you happen to setup the tank with the anemone and clown fish?

Nope, not yet. It'll probably be a little bit as I'm working on setting up a 55gallon FW tank first. The 20gallon SW tank is next in line though.

You may want to try other corals instead of anemones! I have a 20 with 2 clowns and one hosts my gonipora! They have also been known to host torch corals, hammer, frogspawn... It all just depends on the fish. Sometimes they host, sometimes they don't. An anemone does need a more established tank, need high lighting, and move around and sting other corals. I would love one, but I know it would destroy my tank. Try looking into other coral!

You may want to try other corals instead of anemones! I have a 20 with 2 clowns and one hosts my gonipora! They have also been known to host torch corals, hammer, frogspawn... It all just depends on the fish. Sometimes they host, sometimes they don't. An anemone does need a more established tank, need high lighting, and move around and sting other corals. I would love one, but I know it would destroy my tank. Try looking into other coral!

I'm open to other types, I just don't know too many types of coral just known that Clowns are typically related with anemonies unless youre speaking with an advanced aquarist or so on. That and of course I like the look of anemonies, but im open to suggestions! Do you have more types that may work?

Plus, I'm not sure what to do about live rock. I don't know how much or any tips on that as well?

I'm open to other types, I just don't know too many types of coral just known that Clowns are typically related with anemonies unless youre speaking with an advanced aquarist or so on. That and of course I like the look of anemonies, but im open to suggestions! Do you have more types that may work?

Plus, I'm not sure what to do about live rock. I don't know how much or any tips on that as well?

I'm new to the hobby, but live rocks r 2to6 dollars per lb. They recommend 1 lb per 1 gal. No upkeep, the rocks just helps with the filtration of the water

Clowns are weird fish and very unpredictable! My ocellaris just randomly started hosting my gonipora one day after months of being in my tank. It's really a hit or miss with them. I've heard of clowns hosting filters, power heads, the sand, rock... It's really random.

I'd try a torch coral, hammer, frogspawn, maybe Gsp? Gonipora, ... Something that flows. But dont be disappointed if they never host.

Also, it should be about 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon. I try to stick to 1 lb, but it's all personal preference

^ what Evan said. He has a beautiful tank with a couple videos on his thread in the nano reef section and you can get some inspiration there. I just bought a frogspawn coral which my clowns are becoming friendlier with so maybe they will host it. The lighting is important though and don't worry not knowing a lot because this doesn't happen over night and as you go you will learn more!

Even though it is only a 20 Gallon that im turning into a SW, it's definitely exciting. I would have loved to put my 55 to it, but even from what I've heard and the type of fish I would like I feel like to adequately do a SW I would want at least a 100-125 gallon. Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to constrict things with too small of a tank. So this 20 tank is kinda like my practice tank lol yet its pretty exciting.

I'll have to look a few of those up here when I get a minute. I'm wondering where I could get some of those and live rock. I used to have quite a few local pet stores within 50 miles of here, but I cant seem to find just a fish store or a pet store that has much SW fish or equipment. My local pet store in my own town has some salt water, but not too much. To be honest, and to my knowledge, I think they had 2 clowns, a small yellow tang, and a triggerfish. Seems most places carry a small to decent variety of FW, but not too many carry SW. I'm wondering where to go. I hear of fish and live rock/coral farms, but have never seen one and would love to find one!

Another question or two: Live Rock is a must then I'm assuming, least it seems as a very reasonable and good idea. Corals, put some in (too)? I'm sure I'll learn more about it as I go, especially if I can find a good store

Live rock is extremely important IMO and probably most people's but you can add corals if you choose to as long as you have the correct lighting and have the proper amount of trace elements in the water, which can be done using pwc or supplements. If you choose to add corals I recommend adding them after you have finished stocking with fish so you allow your tank time to adjust to the bioload.

Live rock is extremely important IMO and probably most people's but you can add corals if you choose to as long as you have the correct lighting and have the proper amount of trace elements in the water, which can be done using pwc or supplements. If you choose to add corals I recommend adding them after you have finished stocking with fish so you allow your tank time to adjust to the bioload.

What type of lighting would be one to look at? Type, Watts, certain company?
PWC? And I've heard someone talk about a mini protein skimmer, good idea?

Pwc is partial water changes. The trace elements are found in the salt mix so the water changes help replenish those. And I do not run a protein Skimmer on my 20 gallon and im pretty sure the general consensus is that they aren't needed on a manor tank. As to the lighting.... its really a personal preference. Odysea makes a good light for relatively cheap. Led is more expensive but adds a shimmer to the water making it look more ocean like while having the option to dim them on some units. T5 like I run are simple and work just fine. I guess this is a dying phrase but I have 48 Watts of light over my 20 gallon. So about 2.5 watts per gallon and I have kept many types of coral successfully. Liveaquaria has a lighting chart with suggestions about how much Watts to have to keep a coral so judge your needs off of that chart after you decide what corals you're interested in.

IMO I think a skimmer is all but a must. Although water changes will remove some of the waste there is a lot of proof out there that the more filtration the more stable a tank. Is it necessary? No. But will it help : absolutely.

I may look into LED's I just bought a 48" Aqueon LED light bar for my 55gallon and put the glass lids on it. Looks pretty dang nice haha. So maybe a skimmer and a look at the chart. Do you happen to have a link?

I may look into LED's I just bought a 48" Aqueon LED light bar for my 55gallon and put the glass lids on it. Looks pretty dang nice haha. So maybe a skimmer and a look at the chart. Do you happen to have a link?

How is the aqueon LED working for you?

Hey im really sorry about the delay in response! I have been so busy with school work I completely forgot! The link can be found on liveaquaria. Im on my pphone and don't know how to share links but if you click on a specific coral its lighting requirements will actually. E a hyperlink bringing you to the guidelines! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom