Beginner Clams. There a such thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have a 90 Gallon FOWLR, hope to convert to a Reef Aquarium. Have T5HO 64Wx4 w 4 LEDs, 4 inch base of Live Sand, 80 lbs LR, Sump w Rio 2500W Pump (564 gph), two powerheads (400gph, 300gph) a Coralife Protein skimmer and 9W UV Filter (Both in the sump). Is there a Beginner Clam? What does the care involve? My Tanks dimensions are 48X18X29. Enough light?

Clams require high water quality. There are no "beginner" clams, but t.squamosa or t.derasa would be a better option with your lighting than a t.crocea or t.maxima which require much more light.

I have a squamosa clam and consider them to be easier. I have pics in my images if you want to check it out.

As mentioned above you could probably go with a derasa or squamosa (although I haven't been able to find a squamosa in my neck of the woods). I would stay away from crocea or maxima. I know that's hard because they are so colorful (blues and greens) but they are more difficult to keep because of the water parameters and their lighting requirements. I would also keep in mind your tank inhabitants......some creatures like to nibble on mantels.

HTH

Noticed you had a Tomatoe and an Ocellaris Clownfish in your 58 (BTW, beautiful tanks). Can you put two species of Clownfish in the same tank? Also, any tricks to convince them to host? I have a maroon Clownfish and hope to eventually add an anemone. Just added him/her and was thinking about adding another maroon of a different size.

Can you put two species of Clownfish in the same tank?

I have a tomato and a maroon and even though they are over 8 yrs old they do fight constantly. Not to the death but just chasing each other and thats in a 125 gallon tank. I would not suggest it.

Back
Top Bottom