Beginner corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently upgraded the lights and my skimmer on my 46. I am looking for some good beginner corals to get me started. I have some polyps that started growing out of a piece of rock but they are not very colorful.

Soccerdude said:
I have recently upgraded the lights and my skimmer on my 46. I am looking for some good beginner corals to get me started. I have some polyps that started growing out of a piece of rock but they are not very colorful.

Mushrooms and Zoas are very easy beginner Corals , Kenya tree's are nice and not too hard , green star ploys are good but grow fast.

Most softies are pretty easy and good beginner corals, shrooms, zoas, palys. I think there are some hardy Lps pieces as well.

Personally I don't like this question because your only a beginner once. Beginner coral are usually considered hardy which seems to equal fast growth. If your tank is setup for the long haul get what you like. Then you won't be regretting any purchases. If you can keep lps then you can keep most lps. If you like zoa get zoa. Mushrooms are cool and rics are too. But can spread fast so leave room. You've planned up to this point so just keep that same mind set with coral purchases.
What lights do you have?

bettaowner said:
Acroporas are hardy I think. I also think gorgonians are hardy corals.

Eh i'd say the opposite...

I'd go with corals like xenia, mushrooms, zoas, GSP, most polyps, and maybe a duncan or frogspawn

Corals are like fish. Some dealers will keep them in great conditions but most will keep them in average conditions that may cause problems in the long run. I researched acroporas and I think they are if anything the more difficult of the two.

bettaowner said:
Corals are like fish. Some dealers will keep them in great conditions but most will keep them in average conditions that may cause problems in the long run. I researched acroporas and I think they are if anything the more difficult of the two.

Regardless, any sps in a new system is risky. All levels are still evening out and the system isnt stable yet. Thats just IMO tho

Well.. I am only speaking from my reasearch, I haven't tried any SPS or gorgonias yet. All I can say is I know mushrooms, zoas and soft coralike my kenya tree are very easy. I have since stepped up my game to LPS lol. I have had great luck with my frogspawn, it has gone from 4 heads to 7. I came close to loosing my blastomusa because of too much flow I think, it was moved and has more than recovered. My only casualty was an open brain, which I think the tissue on that also receeded due to too much flow...

Gboy66 said:
Regardless, any sps in a new system is risky. All levels are still evening out and the system isnt stable yet. Thats just IMO tho

If you can manage all parameters their all pretty easy imo lps and sps key is stability

Also if your tank isnt very well est id stick with softies to start off with they are normally quite forgiving and if anything goes wrong providing all is put right they recover really fast too just stay away from nems and goniporia

Badgers reef said:
Also if your tank isnt very well est id stick with softies to start off with they are normally quite forgiving and if anything goes wrong providing all is put right they recover really fast too just stay away from nems and goniporia

Imo sps are easier dont have to feed them thus keeping nutrients down i only feed my fish the sps are photosynthetic so you do need good light tho

The best beginner coral IMO is actually one of my favorites as well. Duncans. They aren't very light demanding, grow fast, and there is lots of movement off of them as well. There are a couple different colored varieties and either bushy or branching type, though I haven't seen very many branching personally. But def one of my favorite LPS. I kept several under a 4 bulb T5HO w/o any problem.

Id start with a lps particularly the frogspawn they are very hardy when it comes to tank parameters and lighting. Plus they look great!

Trumpet corals and toadstool leathers are great corals for a new reef. Good thing is you can propagate and sell or trade them for other corals pretty easily. With the toadstools you can often let zoas or mushrooms grow around the base for a truly beautiful look.

Trumpet corals and toadstool leathers are great corals for a new reef. Good thing is you can propagate and sell or trade them for other corals pretty easily. With the toadstools you can often let zoas or mushrooms grow around the base for a truly beautiful look.

Definitely have to agree on the trumpet. My nano is a newer system (few months old now), and I picked up some pink candy & metallic green trumpet lps, and the color on that trumpet just POPS in either daylight or moonlight, and both corals are doing great for being in a young tank.

I got some mushrooms! They popped on a new piece of rock along with some zoa polyps. Do I need to worry about feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom