Beginner Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all

I have a dilemma. I want to get a "Sun Coral" but I am not exactly sure how hard they are to keep. I also can't find a lot of information on the web. Does anyone know where I could find more information on them.

Sorry, I have tried but I can't find a picture that will attach.
I keep getting that this extension is not allowed.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't call a sun coral an easy coral to keep. They require dedication and each polyp needs individual feeding. It does not require light and would do well under a ledge. The polyps open at night and should be fed a meaty item like mysid shrimp. Very beautiful coral.

Cindy is completely right. Sun corals are not really hard to keep, they just require a lot more attention then most other corals. they do not rely on zooxanthellae for a food source or energy. This is what seperates them from most other corals. Instead, they need to be target fed about three times a week. Also, a "colony" of these corals are actually several seperate animals living in close proximitry. Thus, each individual polyp needs to be fed in order to survive. This is one of my favorite corals, as long as you are dedicated to taking care of it, it should do fine for you.

Sorry...forgot to mention that these polyps can be coaxed out during the day. When they sense protein in the water they will extend. I recently learned that the daytime is the best time to feed them, because everything else is awake and can take care of left-overs...Lando

That is good to know.
I will do a little more research but eventually I want to get some.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom