Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool Beginning the Restock

My 72 bowfront is sitting fallow for 44 more days after a ich disaster took my stock at warp speed. Yesterday after sitting through 6 hrs of dental seminars I stopped by the LFS to pick up my 2 spot Bristlletooth tang that had been held in CopperPower for a week. He went into my QT and will be there for the duration of the 72s fallow period. The Bristletooth shows no outward signs of problems at this time but I have the Qt med cabinet stocked with Paragaurd, copperPower, coral dip and PrasiPro dewormer for furture problems.

He went into hiding behind a ceramic coffee mug I placed in the tank for just that purpose and I will be testing water daily and doing changes as needed to maintain Am, Ni, Na, and Ph levels. Tank temp is 76F and hydrometer reads 1.25. I saw no need to further stress the tang with hypo since he has been being treated with copper at the LFS.

Comments welcome.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you have a better approach and plan this time around,Learning the hard way stinks and fish die,It happens to a lot of us(including me)..
Good luck and just let that tang relax and chill in your QT..

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you really want to avoid ich for a second time i would only put fish in your tank that belong in there. Tangs are notorious for getting ich very easily, and putting a big fish in a small tank isnt going to help. Inwould probably think about the rest of your stock list a bit more before purchasing more fish. Just my opinion
Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
If you really want to avoid ich for a second time i would only put fish in your tank that belong in there. Tangs are notorious for getting ich very easily, and putting a big fish in a small tank isnt going to help. Inwould probably think about the rest of your stock list a bit more before purchasing more fish. Just my opinion
First let me say I understand your concerns with tangs. That said the 2 spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) is one of the most passive of all tangs and one of the smallest if purchased small. While it is possible that this tang could get 8 inches in the wild rarely do they exceed 3-5 inches in captivity. Also my 72 bow had its rock work designed arround this adventualality. The rock work is all based on pillar arch designs with a minimized footprint in the substrate with the help of marine epoxy. Several inches in back of the reef the entire width of the tank also helps.
Yes tangs can be ich magnets. If treated in QT and fed a proper diet to stay healthy I believe the risk is reasonable.

I also have always under stocked my fowlrs and plan on continueing this practice with this mixed reef. Thanks for the advise and concern.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterRick

First let me say I understand your concerns with tangs. That said the 2 spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) is one of the most passive of all tangs and one of the smallest if purchased small. While it is possible that this tang could get 8 inches in the wild rarely do they exceed 3-5 inches in captivity. Also my 72 bow had its rock work designed arround this adventualality. The rock work is all based on pillar arch designs with a minimized footprint in the substrate with the help of marine epoxy. Several inches in back of the reef the entire width of the tank also helps.
Yes tangs can be ich magnets. If treated in QT and fed a proper diet to stay healthy I believe the risk is reasonable.

I also have always under stocked my fowlrs and plan on continueing this practice with this mixed reef. Thanks for the advise and concern.
Okay good to know you have put some thought into this. I just want to say one more thing, while it is possible for them to only reach 3-5" incaptivity, there is still a good chance that it will reach full size and be cramped in that size tank. If i went through what you did with ich, i would do everything in my power to avoid it again. In other words i wouldnt have bought a tang except for a kole tang which can thrive in 75 gallon tanks. At least you know how to give it a good home, so i dont think you will have problems unless you start adding more tangs (the only other one i would add is the kole as i previously stated) good luck to you, im sure you will have no problems if you do what you say you will.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Okay good to know you have put some thought into this. I just want to say one more thing, while it is possible for them to only reach 3-5" incaptivity, there is still a good chance that it will reach full size and be cramped in that size tank. If i went through what you did with ich, i would do everything in my power to avoid it again. In other words i wouldnt have bought a tang except for a kole tang which can thrive in 75 gallon tanks. At least you know how to give it a good home, so i dont think you will have problems unless you start adding more tangs (the only other one i would add is the kole as i previously stated) good luck to you, im sure you will have no problems if you do what you say you will.
The 2 spot is the only tang planned for this tank. My other stock choices include a marroon clown, purple psuedochromis, 3-5 Dispar Anthias school, and one other not decided on. I have never liked tanks stocked to the max. Just my esthetic eye not saying others should not fully stock.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com