Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beginning to get discouraged

Woke up this morning and my canary blenny I have had since valentine's day is belly up and my new royal gramma is in serious distress barely moving kinda floating around. I took them both into my lfs the royal gramma was still under warranty so got credit on him but the blenny was a complete loss.

So I'm back to my clown and chromis... water tested perfect. I cant continue to do this if I'm going to keep pristine water and still lose $20 fish for no reason... persuade me back

Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be anything. Dont give up yet. Unfortunatly I believe we are mixing fish that never see each other in the wild. You never know what happened. One could steal from the other or be competing for something you dont know about. I have learned that sometimes trial and error is the only way to have a successful tank. Each tank is different. I have tried to keep gobies for years. Just cant keep them. No reason from literature to say why. Had a chromi that died. Suppose to be an easy fish. Just know now you cant keep them. Also, could be the stock. Who knows. I cant tell you how frustrated I am with my tank right now but I see so many nice tanks, I know it will work out. Hang in there, it happens. At least you found your fish. Most don't.

Also, you say pristine water but maybe post water just for fun.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Are you using tap water or RO/DI?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO/DI
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how are you mixing water for changes?
how are you acclimating?
are you seeing them eat ahead of time and are they eating in the tank?
temp/ parameter fluctuations day/night?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may not be anything you are doing. A lot of the problem is how the fish are collected. When I get fish I ask how long the store has had them unless I check every week looking at the new shipments. A QT tank is very a good idea so you can see if the fish is eating and if it is eating but still loosing weight. Also always check the LFS water before you start acclimating the the fish. The store where I go their water is 1.020 I keep mine at 1.024 so I take my time to drip acclimate them.

When I see how the fish are shipped then handled at the LFS it makes me wonder how any of them live to get into a home aquarium.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know that a lot of people will buy or have fish held at my LFS for 1-2 weeks before even taking them home. That way they know they are eating and doing OK. You may want to see if that is possible.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I know that a lot of people will buy or have fish held at my LFS for 1-2 weeks before even taking them home. That way they know they are eating and doing OK. You may want to see if that is possible.
Yea, I thought about this
Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
anytime my LFS gets new things they always know to hold it for a week for me before I buy it. I would maybe even consider switching LFS's? Google reviews of your LFS's in your area...

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. Everything I bought eventually died. I swiched stores to this one across the other end of the city. Only have had success since. Definitely worth the extra commute.

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you considered ordering online? More expensive, but in my mind, worth it to know you're getting tank raised, healthy fish.

My closest LFS is crap with dirty tanks. Not an option for me. I may be strictly Saltwaterfish.com or find them from a local hobbyist.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com