Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to pose the same question as last week I discovered one on the glass of my tank. It is much much smaller than those in melosu58's tank. It's diameter is at most 1/8 of an inch. It is so small that the legs haven't grown out yet. Looking closely you can see the veins (I guess that is what they are) where the six legs will be. Though I never see it moving I know it does move around as I notice it in different places. I thought I lost it yesterday. When I arrived home from work it couldn't be found. A few hours later it was back on the glass. The Star and a very small clam were the two new finds over the last week. As it grows I'll get a picture. I tried taking one last night but it is too small to see.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are called asterina starfish. I used to have the same problem. They just took over. They reproduce by dropping of a leg that eventually grows into a full starfish. Mine started eating my coraline algae and were always on my zoanthids, keeping them closed. They were fine in small numbers. Once they got over the 100s I had to do something.

I got 2 Harlequin Shrimp that cleaned them up. I still have a couple left but they are only in my overflows, sump and fug. If you do go with the harlequin shrimp they only eat starfish. So once the asterinas are gone you will need to feed them a choc chip starfish once a month. Just my .02

Asternia Star

Harlequin shrimp

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogspawn
how did you get them? and what do they eat? i would think they would eat the alage like other star fish.

They hitchhike, usually on coral or live rock. They will eat anything they want. Not all starfish are herbivores. There are also different species of asterinas. Like stated above once they eat everything thats currently being eaten, they will move on to something different. Like my zoanthids.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I leave my back and side glass dirty with diatoms that the these stars eat. Every morning they are on the glass eating it. I have never had them mess with my corals or Zoo`s. I`ve had them for about 5 yrs now. That`s a pretty expensive dinner for your shrimp. CC stars are about 20 dollars around here.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com