Beneficial Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
I always here the bottles of beneficial bacteria are useless. But my question would be, is there really living bacteria in them? Lastly, if there is, think it would excelerate a cycle? Cycle is fishless. I am patient, but I do have a bottle of this stuff from a friend. I am in the nitrite phase of my fishless cycle.

On the shelf in most LFS I'd say not likely. But we recently set up a new tank with dry aragonite sand/gravel and some dry rock. I wanted to try out Dr. Tim's Live Nitrifying Bacteria having heard good things about it. All I can say is, it works. We dosed with ammonia the first day and it was gone in hours. No nitrites ever measured. Fish in for over a week now and still never measured any ammo or nitrite. I'm convinced. http://www.drtimsaquatics.com

- D

This where I'm at now. It's been three weeks at this without a budge. Again, I know it takes time. I did a raw shrimp cycle. I look into that stuff. Otherwise, I'll just wait it out like I probably should. Ammonia was green for a few weeks as well.

Who said it was useless? If not expired, they are wonderful products. I've completed a cycle in under a week.

I have all my live rock in the refuge right now. It's this stuff. Has a date of 10/1016. I'm afraid of BB die off (possible?) and ammonia stage comes back. Lol

I've never used API Stresszyme, personally. I've used Cycle and Bio-Spira. Both are great.
But no, adding this won't kill your existing bacterial colony.

Well, I figure there isn't any fish going in it for a little while because I need to order out for them. I double dosed BB in a B. I will test everyday for a week and see if it actually dose as advertised.

Back
Top Bottom