Berlin Skimmer gurgle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I have been running a Berlin Classic skimmer for about 3 months now. Last night I took out the wet dry and replaced it with a 20 gal glass tank for a sump. I put the skimmer in the sump and attached the Mag 5 pump directly to the skimmer input. The skimmer has the 2 outlet tubes. One seems to be pretty continuous but the other pulses a bit. When the second tube pulses, it makes a gurgle sound. I don't remember it being this loud before I placed it in the sump.

Are there any tip or tricks to make this skimmer quiet? Is the gurgle noise normal?

I did have to adjust the air flow valve a bit since I had the skimmer outside the wet/dry previously. It was dumping a bunch of water through the collection cup drain tube at first.

Thanks for your help.

There is a vent on each return tube. It's on top right where the fittings screw into the skimmer. Sounds like one of these might be clogged. I have a Berlin Classic running in a sump with a Mag 5 and it's very quiet.

Thanks LoganJ, I will check that out.

I also just noticed in the manual, go figure :) ... that a burping or surging sound can be caused by back pressure in the return tube, normally from bent flexible tubing. I am currently using 3/4 tubing that bends down so maybe this is my problem. Before, the return tubes went over the wall of the wet/dry so it was a straighter shot before coming down.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom