Besides GFO & Carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious if anyone utilizing a dual reactor is using it for anything other than the standard GFO or carbon. If so what & why? Looking forward to people's thoughts and reasons.

Ran a carbon and biopellets in my dual reactor for a while. I didn't like that I couldn't customize the flow in each chamber as well as I wanted....so i ditched it and went with two separate single reactors.

Anyone use anything else like chemi-pure or purigen in a reactor? If so did u you use a bag or cut it open and pour it in loose?

I run purigen in my dual reactor. I have Gfo in the other. Had some clumping issues as I change once a month so I mixed in some carbon to break it up some.

Sniperhank said:
I run purigen in my dual reactor. I have Gfo in the other. Had some clumping issues as I change once a month so I mixed in some carbon to break it up some.

Do you keep it in a filter bag or put it in loose?

I also run Purigen as it removes trace amounts of organics and selenium. Use to run carbon in the first chamber and in the second. Then decided the carbon was kind of redundant and started to run Purigen in both canisters as this is a 600 gallon system. I like Purigen because it is so simple to regenerate.

The BSR reactors come with a cartridge that you load. Only problem is that the foam pads they use get clogged pretty fast unless you use a prefilter.

Yeah I have a nextreef mr1 with Rowaphos., a phosban 150 with carbon, and I am installing a BRS dual reactor but was still undecided as to what I will fill it with.

I run Purigen and GFO in a BRS dual reactor. Had great results, but the GFO packs together. I mixed alittle bit of carbon into it to see if it can be prevented since I have some just laying around.

I've never ran purigen or chemi pure but was considering using those in my dual reactor I am installing.

Chemipure is a mix of gfo and carbon. This is why it must be run passively.

If that's the case, they get a premium for it in those little coffee filter packets in the jars. I can sure buy a lot of carbon and GFO for what those are worth. I am finding this out more and more, the money to be saved by just knowing what's in the bottle, or packet. I bought B-ionic (which is very good stuff) for almost 10 years before I found out how to make a replacement myself for pennies. Same with home made fish food, it's better and far cheaper.

Sniperhank said:
Sadly highly doubt well be making purigen ever. Seems to be complex stuff.

I will bet that they don't make Puigen, it is an industrial chemical of some kind that can probably be bought in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom