Best Anemone for Percs & B&W Ocelaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for suggestions for the pr of true percs and b&w ocellaris I will be purchasing this week.

I was also interested in frogspawn, but I'm not sure I can keep them.

I have 125 w soft corals and inverts now. Setting up a T5 system with 4 x80W bulbs (2 white, 1 blue, 1 purple). I don't dose any additional elements.

Will the light be sufficient for frog spawn? Will either species take to it?

As far as an anenome they need a very mature tank of at least a year old. Very stable water parameters are needed. I`m also concerned that the clowns will damage the frogspawn. Being too rough with the branches will cause trauma and eventually brown jelly disease.

Can you introduce the nems later and the clowns still host? Or is it better to introduce simultaneously?

I think it is most likely they will find something to host. However when you get a nem you can train them to go. In the nem

really with the issues your having or were having i would steer clear of anemones for now. and yeah clowns will still host it if its introduced afterwards

Brad.Sedore said:
really with the issues your having or were having i would steer clear of anemones for now. and yeah clowns will still host it if its introduced afterwards

Agreed. What about the lighting?

Forget about an anemone and just get the frogspawn. The clowns are just as likely to host that as a anemone, and a frogspawn works better in a tank than an anemone (IMO).

What I did to train them was put the nem in a cup with a rock in it so it will attach it's foot to something, then put it in a smaller container with holes in it and place it in the aquarium with the clowns and the nem in it. It forces the clowns to run up against the tentacles and before long they are hosting. I did that and it worked right away

What I did to train them was put the nem in a cup with a rock in it so it will attach it's foot to something, then put it in a smaller container with holes in it and place it in the aquarium with the clowns and the nem in it. It forces the clowns to run up against the tentacles and before long they are hosting. I did that and it worked right away

You have a pic of the 2nd container?

I have two frog spawns in my tank and the clowns love them. Does not cause any damage to the frog spawns at all. I also have a rose BTA which the clowns housed after 2 days of it being in the tank. I also have 2 green BTA which the clowns housed literally in 15 minutes. Clowns love them all! Although some clowns that have been tank raised have never seen them and may not house right away if ever. But, most of the time they will eventually, I would start with a frog spawn and one anemone and go from there. I have two sets of clownfish (one from my 35 gallon, one from my 46 gallon) I put both of them into the 120g. The black and white ones had never seen a spawn or nem before, but my orange clowns shortly taught them what it was to house, and now all 4 cant get enough of there homes. Normally clowns will protect there home, but luckily they have more homes then there are clown in my tank so they all share :)

I have had the best luck with carpet anemones. They will usually stay on the floor if ur lighting is good and clowns love them!!! It took not even a minute for my onyx clowns to find it

I have green BTA's and 2 black clowns in my 40gal reef. It took almost 4 months for them to figure out what the BTA was, and now they go in and out but they dont stay with it at all times, they do enjoy swimming around the tank.

My other tank with a green BTA and 2 orange clowns, nothing happens, they couldnt care less if the BTA is there or not, instead they just like to attack me when I need to get my arm in there to move a coral or rock...

Tank raised clowns it hit or miss if they host it or not, I got my black ones to start hosting by taping a picture of other black clowns inside a BTA to the side of my tank (yes it sounds silly but I did it) and I also started to feed the clowns near the BTA so they would get used to them being so close, and once I used the picture it took them only 3 or 4 days to start hosting the nem all the time.

Back
Top Bottom