Best anenoneme for clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes.

Each breed of clown fish has a specifc family of anenome that its more likly to host in. Now let it be known a clown does not NEED an anenome and anenomes dont NEED clowns to survive in the captive enviorment.

I would give you a list of clowns and anenomes but I dont have that info off the top of my head. I would suggest the Clownfish book as a great reference.

would you happen to know the anemones that an ocellaris clown would bond with thanks

Ocellaris and percula clowns will host in a variety of corals, there is really no need to provide them with an anemone. I would recommend this in particular for you going by your signature. It would be much safer, as a new aquarist, to upgrade the lighting for your tank to support a hardy coral than attempt a delicate anemone. I've seen them in star polyps, button polyps, mushrooms, leather corals, LPS corals, xenia, and have read about them in many more.

I have 80 pounds of live rock now and I got power compacts 260 watts I have to change my sig i will do that today thanks

What are the dimensions of the 60g? Regardless, the lighting is too low for any of the natural hosts of A. ocellaris. I think your best bet is soft corals, and I believe the clown would probably take to one of them as much as with upgrading the lights a little and trying a non-natural host like an E. quad. The condy has a remote chance even.

would an ocellaris get along with a condy I have read no but i was hoping they were wrong my friend gave me on thanks

oh sorry you beat me to the post what types of soft corals would work with him and people told me that the lighting was good for an anemones god damn blasfamers well thanks I just bought these lights cause they we the only retrofit lights that would fit in my canopy my condy is doing great at least i think he is he was in the same spot for 7 days now he moved and is a little ferther from the lights more towards the bottom of the tank should i just leave him cause thats were he want to be well thanks again

Condy anemones are Atlantic varieties and require less light than the Pacific hosting anemones associated with clownfish, thus I suppose whoever told you that wasn't blatantly lying...just painting all anemones with one brush :wink:. It may also be o.k. for a BTA (E. quadricolor) placed higher in the tank.

There is no way to tell for sure if the clown will host in the condy, the only thing for sure is that they do not host them in nature so nothing is guaranteed. There is also no guarantee that any coral will be "the one" either, so I can only provide you with the list above that I have seen. FWIW, I have also seen them host rocks, algae, and powerheads :) .

For the condy specifically, if it is moving toward the bottom...let it. Needing less light, it should make itself at home where it is comfortable.

Actually, the 260 watts of PC lighting equal about 520 watts of VHO, i think his lighting is fine. because 520 watts of VHO would be good enough with the scale of 5 watts per gallon for a 104 gallon tank.

P-MAN

is this true I have 2 65w daylight power compact and 2 65w actinic bulbs if it is not enoght let me know cause i want the rose anemone and i have read he needs 6 watts per gallon I have a 60g tank if it is not i am going to get more pc lights

Actually, the 260 watts of PC lighting equal about 520 watts of VHO, i think his lighting is fine. because 520 watts of VHO would be good enough with the scale of 5 watts per gallon for a 104 gallon tank.

In all the articles I have read to this point, I have seen nothing that states that PC lighting is double that of VHO. Watt for watt they are comparable, with advantages and disadvantages to each.

What are the dimensions of your tank jester? My main concern would be that IMO you are at the very bottom of the rung for lighting requirement for a BTA that is not the natural host for an ocellaris clown anyway. All lighting fixtures deteriorate and lose intensity, so by six months you will have even less don't forget than what you started with the new lighting.

I kept a green BTA under similar PC lighting to yours, and could not get it to begin to color up until I switched to a simple 175w metal halide. I'm not saying you will immediately fail, but let's just say it is not what I would consider to be "optimal" lighting conditions. Evaluate all the information and make the best decision you can.

I think i am going to add 260w more of pc lighing that would give me enough for anything correct?

I think that would be fine for a BTA given that your tank is matured and you buy a healthy clone. Being a new aquarist though, I would not purchase any of the other Pacific host anemones.

Back
Top Bottom