Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

You get 450 Ca with no dosing? I have never heard of IO doing this? I would have never switched It is definately cheaper.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use Aqua Craft Marine Environment salt. www.aquacraft.net

Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
You get 450 Ca with no dosing? I have never heard of IO doing this? I would have never switched It is definately cheaper.
No, I've never dosed calcium. That's why I can't understand why everyone has low calcium levels with IO. And, I mix this with RO/DI water so it's not my tap water causing it to be higher. Perhaps it's all a local thing. The store I buy from sells their IO very, very cheap. No one in the surrounding area and then some can beat them on that. I had asked them how they can sell it for so much cheaper and was told they don't make anything on it but it brings people in so it works for them to sell it for less. Maybe since they do sell so much, keeping it in constant stock rotation and not sitting around, that may have something to do with it? Heck, I don't know. Just grasping at straws.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayuncle
I use Aqua Craft Marine Environment salt. www.aquacraft.net
No, I've never dosed calcium. That's why I can't understand why everyone has low calcium levels with IO. And, I mix this with RO/DI water so it's not my tap water causing it to be higher. Perhaps it's all a local thing. The store I buy from sells their IO very, very cheap. No one in the surrounding area and then some can beat them on that. I had asked them how they can sell it for so much cheaper and was told they don't make anything on it but it brings people in so it works for them to sell it for less. Maybe since they do sell so much, keeping it in constant stock rotation and not sitting around, that may have something to do with it? Heck, I don't know. Just grasping at straws.
You are the first person I've heard say IO was not low in CA. It measures 340-350 with most kits. Sounds like a CA kit problem, CA kits are known for not being accuate. hth
Old 10-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Im thinking that ca isnt going anywere long term in a mix Cindy.
Im glad your getting good results though. Have you thought about getting the ca results verifiyed or a seconed testkit's oppinion?
This is a doseing issue right? Wether or not your going to have to dose ca and alk.. Im thinking that might be an issue with me.. I might have to dose anyway.. lol
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, I have no reason to dose calcuim. I have two calcium kits and they both read the same. I have a seatest kit that everyone warned me about, that it was substandard so I bought a salifert test. Now I'm getting that it's inaccurate to. Oh well. The thread was on opinions of what salt is best. In my "opinion", IO works best "for me".
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your testkits likely fine if you have two saying the same thing... I was unaware of that.. sorry.. your right it was an oppinon question.. and if I forgot to say thanks.. then.. Thank You..
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok ok.. any more oppinons? Id like to hear if anyones useing somthing other then IO and Oceanic.. or if there using Ocanic are you getting consitant results with your mix now?
ooh... and if someone has seen a free shipping deal on saltmix recently Im so intrested.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:07 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I use the AP calcium kit on my IO salt mixed water, and my calcium usually reads a consistent 420 to 450. I've never dosed calcium. IO gets my pH to 8.2 with no buffering. Just my little stat. I also have been using tap water due to the lack of RO/DI in my area, so I don't know if that will affect it any.

Interesting to see the different opinions on salt. I've recently thought about trying Reef Crystals because I found it cheaper at a lfs, but decided to stick with IO.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been using IO for years. But with the advice of the most knowledgable Coral grower I know. He said that the Tropic Marin was extremely stable in its mix and that additives (other than possibly Kalkwasser) would never be necessary for even the toughest corals.

So I bought a big-ol-bucket and I have been using it for about 2 weeks.

I have not tested the CA / PH in it before use, I'll do that for ya in a couple of days when I do my PWC.

I am curious now, I don't see many that mentioned this salt. Does anyone else have an opinion on it. TIA

Devilishturtles, if you are using tap water I would think your CA would be much higher than RO/DI. I tested my tap water and it was high. I bought an RO unit like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-125...verse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ4412464989QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem for only $59.

Best Wishes

Mark

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com