Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayuncle
Tropic Marin is my second in line choice to Aqua Craft.
Why not Marine Art or New Ocean? Those seem to be next recomended by Aqua Craft's S-15 report?
That's because I don't follow the S-15 report.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
ahh.. makes sence..
did you read it before making the desison to use Aqua Craft products or were they refered to you by someone?

Old 10-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular

GreenMaji,

just to complicate this, read this study

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/salt_comparison.htm

just a lot of propaganda
Old 10-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Gramma
GreenMaji,

just to complicate this, read this study

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/salt_comparison.htm

just a lot of propaganda

seems like the same product is touted.. but less information then there site.. I was alot more impressed with the methodolgy of the testing..
Old 10-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am not sure what your background is but from a statistical standpoint you can actualy create a methodology to fit your required end results then just follow the breadcrumbs to the answer you knew before you started. And an "independant" laborotory is paid by someone... wonder who? Who created the methodology? I would bet it was the product that is sponsored. Now if Julian Sprung, or Martin Moe, or anyone of that caliber and history created the testing methodology I'd run out and switch today

imo just propaganda
Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

understood.. and.. I do understand statistics.. heck took it in college and did well... LOL
the sample size was wofully low.. for starters.. your percentage of accuracy would be horrible..
so yes.. its far from something to take extreamly seriously..
But I do think they were illustrating a knowloge gap that needs better testing..
I dont understand why synthetic salt makers don't hold there final product to the same standards as say any other product.. they can take test samples to see if there product is running to spec. what are they doing? harvesting it from the ocean! 8O lol
Old 10-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did see a independent testing done through Advanced Aquarist online magazine.. I think.. Ive lost my links since reinstalling my browser (tryed to save the bookmarks but only snagged about 40 of them or so.. none of my aquaium related ones got saved )
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
I dont understand why synthetic salt makers don't hold there final product to the same standards as say any other product.. they can take test samples to see if there product is running to spec.
I agree, I think the problem for them is they aren't adding "a smidgin of this and a bit of that" to a 10lb bag. They must be making this in large quantities in sophisticated mixing applications. So a bit of tolerance on something as minute as the amount of strontium or Bromide in a 10lb bag is understandable. If it were clinical labs then we'd probably be paying $500 a pound

/shrug

I am going to go home though and mix some water.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok.. this is depressing..
any insite?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The "S-15" report is pretty old stuff, and I have not heard of anyone accepting it as true scientific testing. Just reading over it again, I have to laugh when they describe the marine mix as "perfect" which I don't think would ever even be whispered in a scientific "report". It reads like a commercial for whatever brand salt tested the best....in the same manner as the scientific hooplah for the Ecoaqualizer. If I remember correctly, a little stir was caused and people tried the new salt and experienced bleaching, but I don't have the time to dig through the archives of RC to where I read it many years ago.

On an interesting note, a Google search for "Global Scientific Publications" yielded no results other than ties to the S-15 report.....if I were a betting man I'd guess the group is/was fabricated to try and put forth an idea of credibility.

Instant Ocean remains the salt of choice for most commercial applications, and if their livelihood is on the line I would have to assume that the wheel has not been reinvented.

I'm able to get the 200g bucket of Tropic Marine for $50 at my LFS (thatpetplace), it's a shame other places seem to have to mark it up so much. That comes out to about .25 a gallon, and Instant Ocean (only 160g bucket) at $32 comes out to .20 a gallon. Hence the only reason why I can see "splurging" Tropic Marin because it is so comparable in price. I'd go back to IO without worry if I was faced with paying $80+

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com