Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NEW PRODUCT: Oceanpure.

Excellent reading all around and my corals love it.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
Advanced Aquarist's Onine magazine published part I of II of a 30 page study on artifical salt mixes yesterday.. well today for me.. LOL
the study was more of a reaction to the Shimek experiment on urchin larvae..
Im going to give it a read soon.. but I just found the link so I thought I would share..
this was a wild thread.. maybe this might give it some new life..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1
Well, it seems as though the outcome is that a third independent test would be required since the numbers essentially refute the test by Shimek (frankly it doesn't surprise me, but that is 100% my opinion only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runway1
NEW PRODUCT: Oceanpure.

Excellent reading all around and my corals love it.
Indeed, lots of good words on this salt, although it is not yet available in many parts of the country, including my own. "My corals love it" though is pretty subjective, I would like to see some data if you could provide it.

Namely:
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
PH

It would also help to know your batch number if you can find it on the bucket/bag, it should look similar to this SF5-17Y....and also the brand of test kits you used. The salt itself is probably good in makeup like other salts...the main concern for a new salt (relatively speaking, I know this salt has been out for a year or so) is consistency.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HoopsGuru, I agree. I started a thread weeks back trying to focus on salt consistency rather than somebody's recent testing and I didn't get much response as everybody simply posted their salt preference.

I'm currrently using Hagen test kits and Salifert for pH. As my Hagens run out, I'm switching to the Saliferts for now.
Ca: 480
Kh: Problem here...one batch at 10 and another at 5! Same bag!!
Mg: Not tested
pH: 8.2
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw runaway's earlier thread and agree with his statment. I may start a second poll. You prefer Ford or Chevrolet
Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Activist

ive switched from IO to oceanic and im enjoying oceanic
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by runway1
HoopsGuru, I agree. I started a thread weeks back trying to focus on salt consistency rather than somebody's recent testing and I didn't get much response as everybody simply posted their salt preference.

I'm currrently using Hagen test kits and Salifert for pH. As my Hagens run out, I'm switching to the Saliferts for now.
Ca: 480
Kh: Problem here...one batch at 10 and another at 5! Same bag!!
Mg: Not tested
pH: 8.2
Indeed, I'd venture a guess that most people don't test any of these parameters at all. I've got posted results of someone else using Oceanpure and they are at 35ppm:

pH 7.85
Calcium 530
Alk 8.1 dkh
Mag 1320

Taken from batch #: SF4-15Y

PH seems quite a bit different, calcium is close, and if you average your alk readings it is very similar . So, does this show potential inconsistency? IMO, it is way too tough to create an opinion because of the obvious factors of user error, different test kits (as proven in the article posted above where hobby test kits were unreliable), potentially different source waters, etc.

And hence why the hobby is so stinkin' hard to make choices sometimes, but also on the flip side a good example why it may not be important to search for holy grails (find a salt you like and stick to it!).
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:43 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

so, what is the latest on Oceanpure salt mix? good? bad? My LFS sells it $8/50g, half of the price of IO. I need salt soon. I switched to Oceanic from IO six months ago. I am not too happy with Oceanic, most of my Coral Algae on back glass are gone but the coral are growing a lot. Thx
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey friends from Southern Cali, my brother uses Catalina water from his LFS in Burbank. Any experience with catalina water and any drawbacks?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

It kiind of scares me that in 8 pages I think I only saw one number for salinity! The levels of all of the elements will be different depending on how much salt is being used. Remember, to get the salt level up you have to add more salt mix which in turn will add more of the other elements. I imagine this to be a very slight difference since most everyone here mixes close to the same salinity, but just the fact that it is not being considered shocks me a little. Seriously, not casting any negatives, I just expected this to be a bigger part of the discussion.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

One other thing, I have heard and been told that changing salt mixes is very dangerous if not done correctly. I know this is hearsay, but changes not just in elemental levels but the types of elements can be significant. Calcium from one brand may be chemically different than calcium from another so be careful and change over slowly or you might get burned, your corals and inverts too. JMHO!

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com