Best artifical salt mix oppinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IO - also with no complaints. I have tried several others, but my water chemistry is always the most stable with IO.

I love Instant Ocean. I switched to Oceanic once, but it lowered my calcium and PH. Others have had the opposite results with this salt though so, your results may be different. I went back to IO and will stay there. I figure you can't go wrong with a brand that's been around for more than 40yrs. Our public aquarium uses it as well. :D

I use Oceanic and my ca and alk are always at the high end of the range (different results for different people like Fluff said). I've been very happy with Oceanic.

I don't remember what my oceanic calcium numbers were but I do remember it dropped my ph to 7.8 and I had to use a buffer. I believe the calcium numbers were 350. I'll do water test today and report my results for IO. It always keeps my ph at 8.2 and my calcium around 420-450 but I'll double check that just in case. I don't test calcium weekly.

I've never tested ca and alk on the water before putting it in the tank. I tested the tank over the weekend and it was ca = 475 and the alk was 2.5 meq/L. My understanding is that it would be preferable to have the ca a little lower and the alk a little higher... but I think it's ok. I should note that I've been doing daily 5 gal water changes to provide new water for my QT where my 1" Regal Tang ("The fish formerly known as Prince") is being housed.

I used to use IO... I kept having low alk and calcium. So after doing some reading on here, I switched to Kent. I've never had to add anything since I switched. For me, Kent is awesome.

I switched from oceanic to IO due to low ph problems. The verdict is still out on if it was a improvement.

I switched from IO to oceanic about 7 months ago. My Calcium is alot better.

I tested a gallon of IO and a gallon of Oceanic for Calcium. The IO was 360 and the Oceanic was higher than my test kit reading. I wonder if they vary from batch to batch?

I can confirm the oceanic has more calcium than the IO. I got a good price on 10,000 gallons of IO so I do not mind adding calcium to my new water. It still comes out much cheaper for me.

I'm very interested in this thread but I've only heard comments on Oceanic and IO (and a quick vote for Kent).

My lfs said a few new ones have come out lately that are very good quality. Reefpure and Oceanpure. Anybody use these? Or others besides what's mentioned?

I use Oceanic and previously used IO. I switched to Oceanic since IO had a low Ca reading - 360 range. My corals grew awesome with it though.

Oceanic gives me a Ca reading of 450-460 I believe. Been awhile since i tested. My tank water always test at 420 Ca ans Alk of 2.5-3.0 megs/L. I am seeing more Ca usage now though so I need to either do more water changes or start dosing. With a low to moderate amount of Ca using corals, I think Oceanic has worked great fo me. I have not had to dose anything for about a year.

That is changing now since I have more stonies and a clam. Plus my water changes are not as frequent. I am still on my same bucket of Oceanic though. I have heard mixed results from different batches but seems like IO has as well based on this thread :)

Always heard good things about Tropic Marin too. I know Steve-S uses Kent. I would try it based on his recommendation alone if it was available. Oceanic, Tropic Marin, IO, and Red Sea is what is available locally for me.

HTH

I use both Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin.

Instant Ocean at the tank I maintain for my parents. It is a great value and requires just a bit of calcium buffering.

I use the Tropic Marin at home, only because I have read good things about it and it is priced pretty good at my LFS so I figured I would give it a go. Very consistent when mixed, alk at about 2.8meq/l and calcium at around 400. It doesn't blow the pants off IO so I wouldn't hesitate to change back.

I tried Oceanic for several months, unfortunately, the batches were very inconsistent.

Ok, as promised I tested my calcium levels. I use a Salifert test kit and it's at 450. I've never had a calcium problem using IO and don't buffer. The only problem I see with IO is that it dissolves slower than other salt mixes. This isn't a problem for me though since I mix my water over night. It has plenty of time to dissolve.

I agree with Rev and Hoops, Oceanic does seem very inconsistent.

I'll stick with my IO. It also is a great value. I can get the 200g bucket for $34.99.

Back
Top Bottom